11.11.2009

siGn oF...WhO kNoWs!

ISO anti premature aging tactics. When I was in college this guy in my ward asked me if I forgot things because of my diabetes. An odd question? yes. His motivation? Still unsure.

When I replied to his query with an emphatic NO, he felt the need to share the fact that his mom, who also has diabetes, is kind of stupid (quizzical look from me.) He explained that whenever his mother's blood sugar went low, "it's like it killed some of her brain cells. So, slowly over the years she's become stupider and stupider."

Since hearing this story almost ten years ago, I've harbored a little paranoia in my apparently less elasticy, iron-clad-synapsey brain. I've always felt comforted with the fact that I have a memory like an elephant. I can remember exact things people say and describe--in detail--when they said it, who was there, why they said it etc. etc. Phew.

However, I apparently need to find a way to stimulate my brain, because it is becoming mush. I hate that I'm so over stretched at my job that I feel like I do so many things half-assed (sorry, but it really is the perfect word) and drop the ball on things because I have so much on my plate I just don't remember to do it. It is really, really frustrating. This culminating in the fact that last night I didn't go to bed until 1am (my fault) and since I hadn't gone to the gym that day I thought to myself "oh, I can just wash my face!," which I did and quickly fell asleep. Yet, when I woke up this morning and stumbled into the bathroom, I started brushing my teeth... but it felt a little odd. What was so wrong with this routine? Suddenly, switched-on light bulb meets horrified face. I FORGOT to shower! WHO just forgets to shower??!!! Seriously, forgets?!!Sure, there have been times I haven't felt like showering. But really, forgetting?!

I need help with this brain of mine, ASAP!

5 comments:

Helen said...

maybe you're just becoming blond ;)

M. said...

oh no!!! like heat... intelligence is escaping through my head.

Charlotte Rose said...

Hey Mel, I just shared your lost in translation story about trying to get your message in China - we were all laughing - such a great story, and don't worry, I am crazed at work at the moment and can totally relate, i have forgotten to wash my hair all week, Gross I know.

Mutation's Cantation said...

well, what if i dont shower on purpose?

Unknown said...

Well, on the bright side, at least you realized it before leaving out the door!!