1.30.2010

tHe GeNeRiC bRaNd

Everyone has been going on about Doppelganger Week and posting photos of the celebrity they look like as their photo on Facebook. Shockingly, I agree with a lot of what people have posted! Who knew I had friends that looked like Keira Knightly, Jennifer Carpenter, Cary Elwes, Topher Grace or a better looking Tom Cruise? However, I have to laugh, because the few times that people have said I look like a certain famous person I just shake my head emphatically and laugh at the very false comparison.

While I rarely get told I look like a famous person... I ALWAYS get told I look like someone's sister/cousin/roommate/best friend, sometimes even their own daughter. I'll admit it, I get kind of frustrated when I hear this because, really, I have that generic looking of a face? I'm not exaggerating either. On my mission, I lost count of the many times it's happened--and these were people from around the world--and the same thing has happened over a dozen times since I moved to D.C. Even when I go on any vacation I will inevitably hear something akin to, "Are you by any chance related to (fill in the blank)? Because you look exactly like her!" Awesome.

I suppose I should be grateful that 1) it is always a girl and 2) that it's someone they like. After all, saying I look like someone near and dear to them is a form of a complement, right?

Well, to the few who think I DO look like a celebrity, they ignore my British/Scandinavian routes and go straight for sometimes shaven-head Israelis. Well, except old men who tell me I look like a young Candice Bergen... whatever that means!


Anna Paquin


Natalie Portman


Lets be honest, I don't look like any of these people, at all. Maybe that means I'll be famous one day? Then people will stop saying I look like their friends/sister/relative/class mate and they'll all be told they look like me!

2 comments:

James said...

ha ha. i didn't want to say anything, but when I first met you, you totally reminded me of a girl a grew up with. Not just looks, but some of your mannerisms as well.

Unknown said...

Oh, c'mon, you are Natalie Portman's twin! I, too have never been told I look like someone famous. Until I remembered. Everyone used to call me Olive Oil. I'm not putting it up!