...Oh, we go waaaaay back! If you were to look on a map showing population density of YSA in North America, Washington D.C. would be one large, large dot, maybe even the largest. It has four Northern Virginia wards (soon to be five with the creation of a mid-singles ward) and one more that covers D.C. and part of Maryland--that's a lot of Mos!
It's for that very reason that I'm always surprised I don't know more people in the area, from pre-D.C. that is. Not only did I move several times growing up, but I did a lot of the usual Mormony things: I went to three EFYs, participated in two Hill Cumorah Pageants, went to BYU, served within two missions and even topped it off with a nice little study abroad. Yet the people I know from way-back-when can be counted on, mmmmmh, one hand. I secretly get a bit sad when in the course of discussion people explain how they know each other with an, "Oh, we were mission companions" or "we went to BYU together" or "we've been best friends since the 3rd grade" and the kicker: "We grew up together, then served in the same mission and lived together at (fill in the blank)." At these proclamations... I just can't compete.
However (I say with a finger raised) I found a jem of information when I was going through all my papers and photos over the Christmas holiday. As I was viciously axing photos from my scrapbooks in order to condense troves of photos into one album, I found something rather humorous. I was going through my Ohio EFY photos and noticed someone very familiar, my roommate! That's right, the girl that currently lives across the hall from me. Ends up we were in the same group at EFY. But sadly, I don't think we ever spoke. She was a native Ohioan while my best friend and I (traveling from yonder New York) made friends with one other girl and the ruffian boys from inner city Indianapolis (are you suprised?). But there she was, in several photos just inches away from me. This photo is my favorite, it shows my best friend and I in the top row and none other than little Ambercita on the other side! I can now boast an "Oh, we go waaaaay back!"
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

9 comments:
this is the best photo ever! i love that we are both feeling so nostalgic lately....Be on the lookout for something hilarious via snail mail. It should arrive today. love ya!!!!
Umm, you should dig up some old girls camp or some other photos from the Hamilton days!! I don't know if I have any here ...
oh my goodness!! Megan, I totally forgot about those. I do have them somewhere... hmm. Next time I go home consider it done! I can picture in my mind the photo of you, Rennie, Jenny and me.
You should really work on your fact checking before you publish articles. The mid-singles ward has already been created (about 3 months ago). I should know, i'm in it. I'll expect a correction in a future post.
what religion do you belong to?! They just had a meeting to announce it right before Christmas beak. Maybe you HEARD about it three months ago? It's been a rumor for a year. I just go on my own experience, thank you very much!
I think my favorite part of this picture is the guy with the yellow hat on sideways. aw, good ol' efy. I keep on trying to get my little sister to move out to dc...it would be so awesome!! (not Ashley, my other one) and was that Jason Munck? Why are you going to mid-singles?
Serena, she totally should :) And THANK YOU! That's the same thing I was thinking... Jason Munck is the only Munck I know and he=married and not in the bishopric. I think he was instigating :)
Fact#1: Munck is talking about a mid-singles satellite ward. They are not their own ward, they are like a mini ward within a ward.
Fact #2: The D.C. Midsingles ward is a full fledged ward within D.C. devoted to singles from the age of 31-55 (eep!) and met for the first time yesterday.
Very interesting. I am glad we found these things out. I guess I should say that I am glad you found these things out. ha!
Post a Comment