1.01.2010

2010 tHe YeAr oF tHe....

If you want to be happy, set a goal that commands your thoughts, 
liberates your energy and inspires your hopes. -Andrew Carnegie

Men? pen? to mend? new friends? zen? Christopher Wren... Big Ben? What does this new year hold for you? I hope you're at least optimistic for it! I got an email from a friend a few days before the New Year, asking if we were going to keep each other accountable on our goals again. Sadly, I blanched because, well, maybe I forgot that we were doing it this year. Oops.

Early in 2009 I made a long list of goals about twenty-eight miles long. Upon reflection they were more a check list of things I wanted to accomplish (a goals of a sorts) rather than full on resolutions and thus should have been more aptly named, "Bigger Than Life To-Do List" or something along those lines.

This year however I've decided to embrace the less-is-more tactic. Following the standard of how I set weekly or transfer goals on my mission, I've divided my goals into three categories and made a goal for each. Of course the list of things I actually want to accomplish this year is probably longer than the previous year. But, I figured that by keeping my goals broad I wouldn't get fixated on one thing. Instead, I would be able to enlarge my sights and use my overarching goals to achieve more things--And of course, it means they are open to interpretation. ;-) My goals for 2010 can be broken down as follows:

Mind: Take time to have a meaningful conversation every day
Body: No sweets (remember that no peanut butter rule a few years back?!) I'm giving myself 12 exceptions but will try not to use them. If my blood sugar is low it's a juice box or fruit snacks. That's it. Period.
Spirit: I made a list of Christ-like attributes we are commanded to obtain and decided to focus on one- Knowledge.

I feel optimistic about 2010. It's not only a new year, but a new decade. I'm working on my zen, have hopes of making a few new friends and eventually getting closer to living near Big Ben! 

P.s. If you're interested, here's my tally for 2009:
Bike Mt. Vernon Trail: 4th of July--check!
Go to a Knicks game--check!
Visit NYC at Christmas--check!
Do something uniquely "D.C."--check! oh, and check!
See new American History Museum--check!
Enroll in a class: Hindi--check!
Redecorate my room--check (and thanks Naye!)
Get British passport: almost done
Go to symphony--check!
Hike the Narrows--check!
Hike Angels Landing--check!
Learn to climb--check!
Plant spice garden: My summer food tasted twice as good
Take FSO exam--check!
Visit 3 temples: D.C., NYC, Mesa, Stockholm
Leave U.S. 2x: England (twice), Sweden, Costa Rica, China
Go to a baseball game: work outing
Make 72 hr kit--check!
Make homemade Christmas gift--check!

sadly, many others were out of my control... I don't own a horse, people always ended up coming to the movies with me and buildings close early or close entirely.

What's on your list this year? Feel free to join our accountability club :)

6 comments:

Molly said...

You don't own a horse... ha ha - you crack me up. I want a horse, too. And a goat to milk. ;) Instead, this year I got a hedgehog. Can't milk or ride that. Darn.
Hey - How about a new year's resolution - want to try out for The Amazing Race with me? I'm thinking with the world experience you have and our combined language abilities....Eh?

Molly said...

P.S. - I just found your recipe box. I'm really excited. You got some good stuff! And, did you take those pics? They're really good! I think I'm trying your couscous tomorrow - btw, it looks a little bigger than I'm used to - more like Tabbouleh -- but, you'd be the expert on grains from the other side of the world...

M. said...

yeah!!! I totally will ;) I want to be on the AR so bad! Oh, and let me know what you think of the couscous. yum!

M. said...

p.s. Hedgehog???!

Jecca Lee Ivie Johnson said...

I've been too sick thus far to make any goals. So I guess my goal is to survive January and then make some goals when I start my second trimester. I did have a goal of only gaining 25 pounds this pregnancy and giving up sweets, too. I'm so bad at keeping my resolutions. But look at how much you did!

H.S. said...

this made me want to think of things I want to do this year. I mean, I have my resolutions, but I like your idea of almost a checklist of cool things to do during the year. Maybe after dinner, we can brainstorm some! (Or during dinner...)