I want my parking space back. Oh, and if you're done, can I use that? There are two reasons that I'm looking forward to the start of February. First, We're past the winter blues that the post-Christmas season brings and second, because most people have given up on their new years resolutions. Well, and I'll be honest, right now (as I enjoy 65 degree weather) I'm more concerned about the latter.Perhaps you're one of the 99.9 percent of the population who have made some form of weight lose/get-more-buff aspiration as part your new years resolutions--Congratulations! But stop. Just stop going to the gym. Okay, maybe don't stop going all together, just stop going when I go. Deal? I understand that making goals is an important, good and necessary thing. However, could you be a bit more imaginative about it? Or maybe create a schedule so as not to hamper all the year-rounders?
I normally get off of work at 4:30-ish and, eleven months out of the year, get to the gym just as street parking opens and before the gym hits its after work capacity. However, every January I've noticed the same scenario: People get all pumped that this is the year things will change and they head to the gym in droves (giving a new definition to "peak time"). Classes are dumbed down, treadmills and ellipticals are attacked like flies on a leftover hot dog at a picnic, and don't even bother trying to find a parking spot--unless you go at 6am or 10pm. I've done both and 6am is still not a guarantee.
I know, I know... good for them, they're going to the gym. But, come on! It's not going to last (cynical? Yes... but true nonetheless), so can you please go back to infrequently using the gym? Or maybe try walking outdoors, or picking up cycling. See, I'm not saying go back to eating loads of potato chips and only walking to the refrigerator for a beer... I'm just saying stop... you know... going to the gym when I go. Is that too much to ask?
*I write this on behalf of all those people who have expressed the same sentiments, you know who you are.
7 comments:
maybe you should have different gym passes where you can over ride them. I like that idea
A-men!
and i want my spot back in my yoga class.
please stop encroaching upon my space when i'm doing down dogs, scorpions, cat/cow, gorilla, etc.
ha.
unfortunately my gym membership came through right at "peak time." i promise i'm not a resolutioner (or whatever). also, i walk there, so i'm not stealing your parking space, just your elliptical. :)
In January at our gym, they put up signs that ask you to limit your treadmill, elliptical, or weight machine time to make room for all the new go-getters. If only they used the rule I use with my girls and toys: If you set a toy down, even for a split second, it's fair game. If it's in your hand, it's yours.
On another topic, I have some friends spending their 10-year anniversary in DC and I told them I'd ask you about some cool places or stuff to do. You can e-mail me.
we will attack outdoor hiking like flies on a leftover hot dog at a picnic. lovely mental image. can't wait!
I havent given up yet...because I never started I am just starving myself, which works too :)
Post a Comment