2.19.2010

GoOd As!

A hermit is found in the woods, an eccentric in the desert. I don't remember the exact age I saw a photo of Falling Water, but ever since, I've wanted to go. When I moved to D.C. and discovered it was only a short (i.e. 2 hour) drive away, I quickly put it on my To Do list. Sadly, a fall, spring and another fall have all passed without me going--Not that I haven't tried! Things have just always gotten in the way. But have no fear, I'm determined to go this spring.

In the interim, while I was in Phoenix I desperately wanted to be outside. I wanted to go hiking, breath the dry, warm air of the west, squint from the harsh over-head sun instead of the reflecting light of snow drifts, and feel the thrill of being outdoors. The problem was, where to go in the short amount of time I had?

My friend came across Taliesin West, Frank Lloyd Wright's winter abode and architecture school smack in the middle of the desert. As soon as I saw it, I jumped at the chance. It might not be Falling Water...but it's as good as! Wright was a fascinating man, absolutely ahead of his time. He designed a drive-through bank and and many other laughed-out-of-the-room designs, which are now modern conveniences.

I loved wandering through his house, but was quite pained that we had to be on a tour and couldn't take photos indoors, thus limiting the small, intricate details I could see. What can I say, I'm the person that gets as close to a painting as I can and STARES. There were sculptures scattered around the landscape, bits of Native American pottery or carvings mixed with Chinese ceramics and desert motifs, and lots of open space.

Not only did Wright design the buildings, but he designed the experience. Whenever he was commissioned to do something, he did the building, the furniture, the chinaware... you name it. And Taliesin West was no exception; he had octagonal doors, glass walls to view the scenery, (complete with cut-outs to accommodate the large art work) and the most comfortable chairs. It was an eclectic experience I would happily repeat... and maybe take more stealth photos.


2 comments:

Jenny said...

I recommend the Pope Leighey house in Alexandria, also not falling water, but really cool. I have a crush on FLW. If you can make it until next fall I'm there with you at Fallingwater (I promise this time) Also, yours is one of the few blogs that I bother to jump through the hoops of chinese internet censoring to read.

M. said...

oooh, even if I do manage to go in spring, I'd still go with you in fall. I hope you're enjoying Shanghai..and thanks, that means a lot! I know how difficult chinese internet can be! :)