4.11.2010

AgE iSn'T a fAcToR

He who focuses longest, wins. For those of you out there frustrated by the limited attention span of your five-year old, I contest to you that adults fare no better.

In between conference sessions on Easter Sunday I had a dozen or so friends over for an egg hunt and some light brunching. Sunday morning my friend SJ came over to cook her Cajun turkey, watch conference and stuff more (yes more) Easter eggs. I had stuffed over 100 already because, knowing myself, if I opened the bag and didn't stuff the eggs, no Reese's Pieces eggs would make it into the mix ... and that was against the no sugar policy! While we waited for the group to make their way over to my house, we went outside and hid the eggs in my backyard. Some eggs we simply scattered in the grass (for those with the attention span of a 2-year old) and other hiding spots were a bit more complex. Overall, the yard provided perfect hiding spots for such a large number of eggs. It's full of random pots, missing bricks, bushes, furniture, randomly placed flowers, a trampoline, two water hoses and lots and lots of fence.

After most people had arrived and we had finished snacking Part I, the group congregated in the front yard, waiting restlessly for the gate to open. Once it did: commence mayhem.

They pushed through for first place and first dibs,

(L) Bill went for the "low-lying" eggs, whereas (R) Hayden, Ashlee and Shannon went for the garden.

However, after only a few minutes into the hunt, trampoline jumping (she was getting
a birds eye view of the eggs, apparently) and candy eating had begun.

A few, with somewhat longer attention spans, stuck it out and found more eggs...

...including my favorite animal eggs. Then, after a brief stint of basking in the sun and playing in the yard, we head inside to divide up the candy. The trading wasn't as vicious as Halloween can be, but I think that's because all around, the spoils are so much yummier! Either way, I'm pretty sure I'll be finding eggs throughout the summer and {cough} not just because they were super hard to find!


some of the snacking goodness including strawberry bread, dulce de leche, homemade
cheese wafers, deviled eggs, turkey sandwiches and rice crispy birds nests. Yum!

No comments: