4.08.2010

i BeLiEvE yOu HaVe My StApLeR

Cleanliness. Wrinkles. Spacing. Lines. Time. Food. We call them quirks, but that's just a nice, endearing word for the OCD in all of us. Some people clean every inch of their house, even using a toothbrush for those hard-to-reach areas. Others iron every article of clothing, linen and bath item they own. And some can't handle having a row of pencils, clothes, plates or food group arranged in any other way but spaced perfectly apart. Then there are the special few who must do activities at the same time, every day, in the exact same order... every day.

Well, another one of my everyday (as in mundane, but also could be classified as almost a daily occurrence) "quirks" has been called out. It was General Conference, we were sitting there for hours on end, and I had the TV remote. Occasionally someone would say, "Can you turn it up, just a little bit?" or conversely, "Hey, it's kinda loud, can you turn it down, just a little bit?" Well, my friends, my mind does not do well with just a little bit-- I need even numbers. Any volume button pushes like a little one, two, three is hard for me to watch (and the bar is on the screen, I have to watch it!) The volume control MUST end on an even--or round--number. If not, it's akin to Chinese water torture! Even volume numbers just make my soul at ease. If someone (in any TV viewing instance) moves the volume up or down just a little bit, I wince. Then, I secretly move it to a safe, comfortable even number... and do my part to bring order to an increasingly disorganized world.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I think these quirks are just our way of trying to exert control over our world. Even though 85% of life is out of our hands we can make sure the pencils are lined up correctly or that we brush our teeth before we wash our face.

Heidi said...

That is hysterical

Jecca Lee Ivie Johnson said...

If only I knew this about you. I would have loved to drive you crazy!

M. said...

Tiffany, I agree :) And Jess, don't make me sic Jo-Jo on you!