Like the Germans and French on Christmas Day 1914, sometimes two apparently opposing sides can come together for some fun. I'm not sure when my "save the earth" nature began, but since I can remember I've been obsessed with the environment. The first time I can actually put my finger on being cognizant of a gypped mother earth was watching coverage of the Exxon Valdez spill. There was image after image of oil covered animals dead or dying--I internally freaked out. Then, there was the time in elementary school when the big 6
th graders came and did some random presentation for us. They warned us that if we bought a six-pack of soda, we had to cut-up the plastic because animals in the ocean (like the child-favorite dolphin) were dying from eating or getting wrapped up in them {gasp. horror. all children annoying their parents for weeks}. In fifth grade these sentiments were amplified when I learned about ecosystems and acid rain. Internal Freak Out Scale at a 9.0.
As I got older, I had accumulated all this knowledge and couldn't understand why the government wouldn't provide recycling bins, why they didn't sign the Kyoto Protocol and I was even more befuddled when I found out New York City simply trashes a large majority of its recycling because it "doesn't need it all". My mind was swimming with, "Well why do we have so much packaging? Why do people have to pay to recycle? Why can't more things be recycled?" Yes, little me was having major anxiety. Even today, I cover renewable energy as part of my job and let me tell you, the U.S. is embarrassingly far behind. On most accounts, it sees the green of money over the green of environmental progress.
However, this apparent earth v. government disparity has made some headway. Baby steps. As part of those baby steps, there was a climate rally at the Capitol over Earth Day weekend. There were
intermittent concerts between rallies, a lot of pot smoking and even the occasional Avatar figure or polar bear walking around. We got there just in time to see the Roots but sadly missed Sting (my main reason for going). Yet while there, we made sure we gave the earth a little squeeze.


Can you sing with all the colors of the WIND?


Rally with an amazing backdrop... and a man taking a
little break (from reality and dancing)

so remember, love the mama.
Go plant a garden, hug a tree or recycle your trash.
(but always shave your arm pits)
2 comments:
ha ha! I totally remember that. Do they even make those plastic things anymore?!
I'm so happy you went!!!! Looks like a fabulous reason to gather people together. I still cut up my 6 pack plastic soda rings... Save the dolphins!!! :) xoxo
Post a Comment