I'll admit I'm absolutely tired, we all are. I don't even really know what to put on here... but I took judicious notes today (thanks JB, your talk was a life saver), and said I'd try to keep everyone updated...so here is the recap:
Today was an interesting day for all of us, considering it was our first full day (and with a tad more than 3 hrs sleep). We got to the hospital at 6am and they'd already done the CT, which indicated no change. He is still bleeding from his ear; granted at a lesser rate, but still bleeding. Piece of good news: no aneurysm. However, more puzzling is how the fall became so severe. Luckily the fracture is not depressed into the brain and will hopefully heal nicely in time.
Of greatest concern and is the pressure on his brain. The blow to the right temporal lobe caused severe bleeding on the left frontal lobe. As a result the neurologist had a intercranial monitor put into his skull. this way, instead of guessing from CT to CT, they have minute by minute readings. He explained that normal pressure on the brain is around 10 (when you sneeze it goes up to a 20 for a nanosecond then back down)and they get nervous when it is consistently around 20-25. Dad is currently fluctuating right at 20. The next 3 to 5 days will be the most crucial for him in regards to the intercranial pressure; it must come down. If not, it will lead to a more aggressive treatment, but with permanent side effects to the brain. He warned that we are in no way out of the woods, he's seen things go both ways at this point. Not something you want to hear, but we must stay optimistic!
We appreciate your fasting and prayers today. We could feel their power working to sustain him. If you feel impressed, we'd really appreciate you fasting one more day this week. If nothing else, please keep him in your prayers with a side prayer for mom.
I'll try to keep you updated. I'll admit, i am exhausted. Neil left tonight, Derek will go home Tuesday and I'll be here through Saturday. Then I have to get back for work at which point Derek will replace me for a little while. Kristie is almost due so details moving forward are fuzzy. I just keep saying take one bridge at a time. If we can get the pressure down, hopefully the next step will come easier and faster so we can get both of them back to Charlotte in good health before September is out.
lots of love and thanks for your support.
melinda
2 comments:
Melinda, thank you so much for keeping us updated. We LOVE you guys SO MUCH!!!We were devastated to hear about your Dad's accident. Our earnest prayers are definitely with you all, with an extra helping for Deb. Please give her an extra long hug for me. Fasting and prayers are going on and I know he has had blessings. Just keep doing your best and know he has too many pulling for him to not do really well. Love to you.
Bob and Mary Ellen Cota
Thanks for finding the time to keep us all in the loop - we really appreciate it. Prayers continuing here, with a massive hug for your mum & you all. Emma x
Post a Comment