After skipping a few songs I landed on Make it Mine by Jason Mraz (which I liked) and while listening to it, I started thinking about an article I'd read on Kelly Slater. What, you ask? Hold up, follow my train of thought: I read the article about Kelly Slater, who is not only the best surfer of all time (I had a slight crush on him in high school; still have the posters to prove it) but also a pretty profitable niche producer. He makes loads of surfing films, clothing lines and has found the likes of Jack Johnson. Thus, my thoughts turned to the fact that Jason Mraz and Jack Johnson have fairly similar styles, yet I hate one and love the other.
With this fact in mind, I started a little game with myself to discover how many of the similar-but-not-equal patterns I could find in my life--some not being an actual hate, just a STRONG preference for the other. It went as follows:
Jason Mraz > Jack Johnson*
Loreena McKennitt < Enya
Radiohead > Coldplay
Simpsons > Family Guy*
red delicious < gala
milk chocolate > dark chocolate*
Friday off < Monday off
peaches > nectarines
Raspberry jam > strawberry jam*
clementines > oranges
Banana Republic > Gap*
Zara > Mango
Steve Madden* < Diesel
Kuta > Phuket
Florida* < California
NYU > Columbia
Gweneth Paltrow > Julia Roberts*
* indicates an actual aversion versus simply a strong preference
Loreena McKennitt < Enya
Radiohead >
Simpsons > Family Guy*
red delicious < gala
Friday off < Monday off
Raspberry jam > strawberry jam*
clementines > oranges
Banana Republic > Gap*
Zara > Mango
Steve Madden* < Diesel
Florida* < California
Gweneth Paltrow > Julia Roberts*
* indicates an actual aversion versus simply a strong preference
4 comments:
Biggie > Tu Pac
Imogen Heap > Enya
Red Vines < Twizzlers
Apples > Oranges
Working < Traveling
Mangos > Every other fruit
Mangoes < Melinda
ooh, good call on Biggie and Tu Pac. I'm the opposite on that coupling though... Same with twizzlers and red vines.
However, i must contest you pairing IH and Enya. They're not very alike. Neither is working or traveling!!!
but I'll let it slide since I won over mangos. What about Spinach though? ;)
haha! How could I forget SPINACH?! oh my love, please forgive me. spinach > mangoes.
BUT still, Melinda > spinach. Yes, it's true.
True, IH and Enya aren't too similar, but I still like her more! And working<traveling is more of a statement I'm making towards how I feel about being here in Phoenix for the weekend. BLAH.
Hey, pretty cool post. Kelly Slater is AWESOME! I would totally name my kid after him, but unfortunately, his name is "Kelly". Damn.
I wanted to let you know that I just changed our blog address to:
vernandmolly.blogspot.com
Oh, and one day, I totally want to do the amazing race with you! That would be so awesome! Plus, you're like the best world traveler I've ever know, so I would expect that to be a plus ;)
Post a Comment