sunday evening. i'm cleaning up a little snacky snack when i hear a rap-rap-rap on the door. thinking it was my friend, i was surprised to see a man in uniform on my front stoop.
"hello, officer. can i help you?"
"yes. are you the mom of the house?"
seriously? he just asked if i was the MOM. haha.
"there is no mom to this house. how can i help you?"
"i was following up on a neighbor's complaint. they said they saw a noose hanging from a tree in your front yard. were you the one that put it up?"
EXCUSE ME? a NOOSE? this is getting really weird.
"um. no, i did not put up a noose."
"because the neighbors take racism very seriously."
"can i see said noose please?"
officer shines his flashlight on a little tree in my front yard, tied to our fence for support with a little white rope. on the end of the rope, dangling along the side of the tree is a little loopty-loop. apparently, a noose. big enough to hang probably a cat.
"yeah, we didn't put a NOOSE in our front yard. that rope is just tying the tree up for stability."
"i figured as much. just had to come by and check."
weird silence.
"do you mind if i just tuck it in so the noose isn't hanging out?"
"sure."
"thanks. have a great night."
"you too."
true story. too weird.
me? I was hiding on the stairs listening with our other friend the whole time. That is, until it got really weird and I too wanted to see said noose.
Sometimes I really feel like a live in an episode of Desperate Housewives, although I could be wrong since I've never seen it. It just seems like our area fits its gossiping/peaking over the fence kind of ways.
For this and many other episodes, I've decided I'm going to start calling our house the fish bowl. That will fall in line with other Mormons naming their homes (i.e. the tramp house, the Taj Mahal etc.)
me? I was hiding on the stairs listening with our other friend the whole time. That is, until it got really weird and I too wanted to see said noose.
Sometimes I really feel like a live in an episode of Desperate Housewives, although I could be wrong since I've never seen it. It just seems like our area fits its gossiping/peaking over the fence kind of ways.
For this and many other episodes, I've decided I'm going to start calling our house the fish bowl. That will fall in line with other Mormons naming their homes (i.e. the tramp house, the Taj Mahal etc.)
No comments:
Post a Comment