11.23.2010

PeTeR PiPeR PiCkEd A pEPpeR

Gardening inspiration is 10 percent perspiration and 90 percent just seeing what happens. This spring I was pretty excited to start my very own garden, remember that? Do you also remember how I said I had no idea what I was doing? Well, some of it turned out great and some, not so much. For example, I got loads of squash... until it got rot. I was thrilled to grow my own peter pan squash, until squirrels at the plants. I was stoked for strawberries until I realized they'd only start budding next year. The tomatoes? Yeah, I didn't even bother. I even cried a bit when my roommate had the missionaries over and they pulled out my actually fruitful rosemary bush.

However, I had one true friend, peppers! I had planted two green pepper and two red pepper plants in my little garden. When SS and I read the directions that they were supposed to be planted 12 inches apart. We took that as more of a guideline instead of a hard and fast rule and planted them about six inches apart. Well, it ends up that guideline matters a little bit, but in a way that makes me not care so much.

The first time I went to pick some peppers, I noticed there were a lot more green ones than read ones. That's okay, I ate what I could and gave the rest away. No loss. I got really excited when I noticed the red ones maturing and continued to wait patiently for others to (what I thought was) finish maturing. No finishing needed, they were there own special breed of pepper! Just look at my beautiful hybrids, part green, part red. I'll definitely make this happy mistake again next year.

Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Charlotte Rose said...

Well done, we do quite well, I enjoy watching other people gardening and then eating the spoils - fresh veges = heaven: )

Molly said...

Oh my gosh I had the exact same experience with all my plants... Peppers did awesome - except for the ones I thought would turn red and never did. Very curious! I had birds eat my tomatoes - the sun kill my asparagus and I left the potatoes in the ground way way too long or they got too much water which was the sprinklers fault. The. I let the weeds take over when it got too dang hot to go outside. I did get 2 decent watermelons- little ones. All my cucumbers were yellow and I haven't a clue why - I think they interbred and made an ugly cucumber- tasted okay though. I definitely realized also that the soa ing thing helps you see and pick what u grew and keeps the. From rotting.... I wish other stuff grew better - stupid birds ate all my strAwberries and blackberries - I'll have to put bird netting on them next year cause two fake owls (1 with a bobbly head to be more 'realistic') didn't do squat!

M. said...

Molly, I literally laughed out loud at the, "I think they interbred and made an ugly cucumber."

just fyi, cds don't work either. My senora was full of it.

better luck to us next year! ;)