4.28.2010

GrEeN tHuMbELiNa

Thumbelina says, only you can prevent forest fires processed foods. There are several reasons I can't wait to own a house, such as the ability to keep it as clean (or not) as I want, decorate it the way I want, invest in dishes I like and can use without worry... no need to organize laundry day or wonder if the dishwasher is clean or dirty... plus I've secretly always wanted a few chickens.

I've recently added a new reason to the list: I want my very own garden. Now, lest you think I'm twiddling my thumbs, renting away my years, I'm practicing right now. In the past, because I've killed anything that requires photosynthesis, I avoid it like the plague, thinking, "Other people can do it better, I'll leave it to the experts!" (kind of like genealogy). But I'm slowly conquering the vegetable kingdom.

Last year I planted basil and it grew wonderfully, until I left for almost three weeks. It then grew really tall and became a semi-noxious weed. However, I still consider it a triumph because it provided a staple ingredient to my summer meals. This year, I took a giant leap for my future kind and decided that in addition to basil, I'd try my hand at oregano and cilantro.


herb garden

I was really proud of myself, jumping from one to three living things! I thought, if I can keep these alive all summer, I'm on to greatness! However, I was soon humbled by my very garden-savvy friend. Earlier in the week we had discussed my fond memories of picking strawberries in my parents backyard. Being the youngest, I was put in charge of the easy-to-tend strawberry patch and often would eat a large portion of the pickings before I entered the house. Since then, I've always wanted a strawberry patch. Said friend (who already has a garden variety AND compost pile) was eager to help. Soon, I was whisked away into s vegetable wonderland--not that I mind, how else will I learn?!

So, last Saturday I cleared a patch of our backyard then went plant shopping with my friend. Although it sprinkled intermittently throughout the day, her NO RAIN petitions were answered long enough for us to plant not only strawberries, but two kinds of squash, zucchini, four tomato plants and four pepper plants in my garden! Let's just say I'm overwhelmed...but I just remind myself of my incremental plan (plant one new thing a year); as long as the basil and one other thing--please be the strawberries-- survives, It's a success.


dividing up the plant portions for planting


my tiny, budding garden


Here's to a summer of fending off the exorbitant amount of wildlife in my yard, in hopes of making fresh bruschetta, grilled vegetables, pesto sauce, tomato sauce and whatever else I can think of!

3 comments:

Jecca Lee Ivie Johnson said...

Well, this is my third year growing a garden without the help of a green thumb, and I have to tell you, you learn by trial and error. I have now succeeded at tomatoes, peas, beans, cucumbers and green onions, and this year my everest is corn that outlasts the worms, and watermelon that lasts longer than a single leaf poking out of the ground. If I can do it, then YOU CAN DO IT!!!

Erin said...

I love it!!! I would love a garden too some day. We can't seem to stay in one place for very long though. Can't wait to hear about the yummies you make.

RuSty and LaLa said...

How funny that we both posted about our gardens this week. It is way fun. Let me know what successes/flops you have. I am trying to decide what to plant next.

ps Cilantro, much like basil gets way crazy way fast if not pruned.