12.29.2010

LiGhTs OuT

I suppose you can call this my public service announcement. If you scroll down under my blogging archives you'll notice that I blogged more in the months of September and November than any month this year; there's a reason for that. When I'm really stressed out, I go to my outlet: writing. However, there comes a tipping point when too much is too much. Thus, communication (including writing) all but ceases and I go into survival mode--meet the month of December.

I was more ashamed of the act than actually now admitting it, but there was a period of two weeks where I cried daily, sometimes even multiple times a day...work, home, the gym, you name it. The reason? There is currently not one stable part of my life. Yet, I'm starting to find my sea legs and in the past week-plus I've gotten better at handling the load. I'm hoping it's not just the "push to Christmas" mentality, but in preparation I'm starting to sort a few 2011 perspectives. Namely, how to find balance and progress in my life. My motto: Out with the unnecessary, make room for the good. 2011 has GOT to be a better year!

In this process I've come to a few conclusions:

1) I'm done with this blog. Stop. I didn't say I was done with blogging, just this blog. I mean, besides the fact that I find this web name embarrassing, I've become more determined to create a website of my very own where I can have all my photos, professional writing and blogging all in one neat name/looking package. It's in the very early stages so it's plausible* I'll post before then! If you'd like to make the jump to mature blogging with me, drop me a line or I'll try to make a PSA before I make the transition.

2) I went on a Facebook diet and lost over 200 friends. I felt a bit guilty at first, but it felt so good by the end that I just didn't care! Granted, I accidentally deleted the wrong people sometimes (oops) but I've sent nice apologetic friend re-requests. I did it because I thrive on good friendships and after reading excerpts of The Tyranny of E-Mail, where author John Freeman states,
"In 2007, 35 trillion messages shot back and forth between the world's 1 billion PCs; in the time it took you to read to this point, some 300 million emails were sent and received...Instead of walking down the hall, picking up the phone or sending an interoffice memo, we email. Email goes with us everywhere now. We check it on the subway, we check it in the bath, we check it before bed and upon waking up. We check it even in midconversation, blithely assuming that no one will notice. In offices around the world, workers are typing themselves into a corner, ever farther out of touch with people. Ironically, tools meant to connect us are enabling us to spend more time apart."
It made me more determined to invest in real friendships (not a new theme here... or here.) That means call when possible (painful, i hate the phone), write cards (better work on my penmanship!) each week to people that have been on my mind, and find ways to improve upon my 2010 goal of meaningful conversations daily.

3) I'm going back to school. GRE exam scheduled, fingers crossed 2011 is my year. I'll probably stay in D.C. since I have in-state tuition, however I'd WELCOME change, so I will trust God knows where that should be and will help me get there. {Deep breath} This also means I need a new job, which actually is the MOST glaring problem right now (insert tipping point.) I'll take any prayers, lit candles, hail Mary's, petitions to Allah etc. I can get.

Yup, that's about it. I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas, Boxing Day and are brainstorming plenty of great resolutions for 2011! While certainly a unique year, I'm grateful I've had the chance to be more prayerful this holiday season. The process of stripping away the unnecessary is a blessing in disguise.

*occasionally possible because I do enjoy it (I have about 10 ideas written down) and if I do, that means life is more manageable!

5 comments:

Britt Linde said...

love you girl. 2011 will have good things for you.

Miss Amy said...

2011 will be a better year. You know why? (besides the fact that you have hundreds of people praying for you/your family, your own personal prayers, you've put it out into the universe publically, you're a hard worker, you're intelligent, you know you need to take this crazy thing called life ONLY one step at a time, you have a great family to back you up, you have friends who love you and will support you, um...what else. you simply DO where others TRY.) oh yah, i was going to tell you why ELSE you'll make it happen: because you, Melinda, will never fail. you only learn with each disappointment and hardship. you wouldn't be able to have the mindset to stop if you haven't reached your goals, or if you weren't happy. And also.... I'm here to help you in any way I know how!!! (that includes forcing you to move to AZ and live with me) :) :)

Janey said...

Okay I have to admit I ran to facebook to make sure I didn't get "cut" from your friends list! :) I'd love your new blog if you're willing...I've been praying for you and your family and hoping things turn out. I like you!

Charlotte Rose said...

1 hour and a bit until 2011 here in New Zealand, I'm wishing you a lovely New Year. I honestly think we have the same mind because when I read your blog its exactly me: ) lots of love for the new year.

M. said...

Thanks Jane, that means a lot! And I won't de-friend you, PROMISE! :) (If I had, I would have added you straight back.) xx

p.s. I have to say, i thought of you and Seth as I watched Elf this break!