Consider this the outdoors equalizer, if you will. My friends Katie, Arianne, Aaron and I were on our way to Mrrland (that's Maryland) to meet up with more of our friends to celebrate one of their birthday's at none other than a drag race. Our friend loves racing cars and this was as close as we could get.During the hour drive to the track, we somehow got on the topic of disaster preparation and what you'd put in a 72-hour kit. Now, I've long been a believer that not only should you put stuff in that you need, but also stuff that wouldn't get you killed. For example, you don't want people to take your food so, distract them with cigarettes. In fact, I guarantee you could barter your cigarettes for more food or water--genius!
I then mentioned that I've been told by many of my public health friends that you should also have a fake penis in in your 72 kit --insert perplexed, shocked looks here--. One of my friends asked a bit indignantly, "you're saying people can't wait 72 hours to umm....?" Horrified, I said, "No! Not that kind of fake penis!" I quickly tried to explain that it's a contraption that allows girls to go to erm, relieve themselves regardless of their situation of surroundings (nothing like accidentally weeing on yourself to {cough} dampen the mood.) My friends looked at me like I was crazy, gave the half-hearted/we-don't-believe-you nods and, after a bit of mocking, the subject changed.
However, pre-Christmas I was doing a bit of internet searching to try and find gifts for several of my travel-savvy friends. I googled "top travel gifts" and stumbled upon... what, you ask? A British travel mag that listed none other than the Shwee or Shenis (a bit too crude imo) as one of the top gifts for outdoorsy traveling women!
Ha! ...... HA! Vindicated! You bet I sent that link to my friends.
Update those 72 hour kits people... You can thank me later.
4 comments:
HA! I'm pretty sure Tia got one of those before she left for S.A and the peace corps. I thought it was a fab idea, two years of using a pit toilet I'd get one too.
Funny, we were actually just talking about that very contraption when we were tramping last week. Funny Mel.
bahaha. Totally makes sense, I suppose. Another option for safe sex? I dunno. This is another reason I love you, Miss Skea.
Don't knock the SheWee without having been on YW camp overnight hike... there's a time and a place for everything....
Post a Comment