As I lay there doing my calculations, I became a little perplexed. How was this bed officially categorized? As a single? A double? a queen? a triple? Finally, I looked up bed sizes. Ends up beds are sold in twin, full, queen, king, and the ultra plush California king. What? I mean I get the whole king/queen thing because we all know that in cards a king trumps a queen. But who decided this nomenclature for beds, anyway? What TWINS do you know that sleep in a TWIN bed. NONE, it's a single, that's why it should be called a single. And a FULL? Full of what... two people, three people, a partridge in a pear tree? I don't get it.
Common sense tells me that beds really should be measured by how many people could fit in it without touching (personal space!) Europe somewhat has this system down. If you ask for a double bed (i.e. full... or is it a queen?!) in many hotel rooms, it's two single beds smashed together. Got it? 1+1 = 2.
On a recent adventure to help a friend redecorate her room, this bedding problem proved to be quite a kerfuffle. In the process of picking bedding, we couldn't figure out what size she needed. "Wait, what size bed do you have?" A double. "Oh, okay. Wait, is the double really the single or is it the kind that could fit two?" Uh, lets ask! ... "Mam, what's a bed that only fits one person?" A twin? A twin as in two people? Well yeah, twins are two identical people, but for only one. But then what's a bed that fits two people? That's a full. I'm so confused...."
I think we still ended up buying the wrong size.
To me, life should be simple:


2 comments:
you said kerfuffle.
i think the california king is called that because it can fit as many people as currently reside in the state of california.
this is totally true!! You should forward this to the President..or someone who could change things, I agree with this logic, it is so confusing, although I must say we just upgraded to a king, and I love it! I have a husband who is 6'5" and sleeps diagonally most of the time. :) King to just fit two large people, please! (so maybe a big and tall double?)
Post a Comment