7.18.2011

SeLeCtiVe KLuTziNeSs

Excuse my klutz she's a friend. I don't fancy myself I klutzy person. In fact, most people I talk to don't categorize themselves as klutzy people. That is until you get them talking and you realize not only is everyone deep down a selective nerd--admit those stamp/banana/word/bug collections!-- but also a selective klutz.

For example, in the past few days I've learned that one of my friends is a burn klutz. If she's ironing something, doing her hair or cooking/baking she always finds a way to burn herself. Another friend admitted to being a corner klutz. She can run fine, walk up stairs fine, but if she's rounding a corner she inevitably miscalculates the trajectory and runs into the corner (and occasionally a glass door.) Another friend freely admitted to being a stair klutz. She has no problems rounding those corners, but when asked to climb a few simple steps, down she goes. Then I have a friend who is a food klutz (I'm sure you can guess what that means.) As a result she tries to stay away from eating food that can stain, that is until it's cool for adults to wear bibs. There's also the friend we affectionately call the word klutz, others of you might call it a lack of tact.

And then there's me and the whole reason this conversation started in the first place. I am a technology klutz. I don't recall this problem in my younger years, but within the past few years I've developed quite a track record. On my mission it was a good day if I only dropped my pager one or two times per day. I once dropped my laptop and ruined the hard drive and I purposely didn't get a fancy phone because I dropped my cheap-o phone several times a week. Thus, when I got my iphone the first thing I did was buy a hard case to protect it from my little butter fingers. I was doing really well for the first few months with no real drop incidents, then this week happened. I dropped it twice on Sunday (full on hardtop pavement in NYC), dropped it once on Monday, again on Thursday, once on Friday as I tried to answer a call while standing in line for HP, then once on Saturday when I was just holding the darn thing. Yes, that is a total of SIX times in one week. My roommate who works for Apple now uses me as a testimonial that the case really does work; Awesome. However, mine did have a slight dent in it from all the drops, so I had to file it down so the case would close again... See, at least I'm resourceful in my klutziness! But I think I need to buy a back-up case.

3 comments:

Shannon said...

I love you techie klutz...I'm incident free for 1 day now....

Helen said...

I know this sounds weird, but i hate reloading paper in the copy machine. I always get a paper cut. I'm a paper klutz.

Kim said...

Is this confession time!? I am a doorhandle klutz. I always seem to jam my hand arm or back, or whatever, into it giving me nasty bruises!