8.03.2011

iF yOu CaNt BeAt ThEm

...join them in self mockery? I've been spending a fair amount of time with MK lately; something that hasn't gone unnoticed by a summer subleasor in my house. She recently broke up with her boyfriend of two years and is a little on edge about relationships, apparently acutely aware of any semblance blooming around her. That being said, one night she came to me and asked, "so have you two had the talk?" I was baffled (mostly because she NEVER talks to me) and thought to myself, what talk?! She's not Mormon so I wondered if she knew I needed to have a certain morals talk with him. I looked at her quizzically and asked, "what talk?" Her answer, "you know, the marriage talk."

Quickly recovering from surprise, I said, "well, I've only known him for two months so no. We're not BF/GF, however we're very open with each other about issues because we're two different religions." I guess it was her turn to be surprised because she exclaimed, "He is??? Well what religion is he?" I reply simply, "Muslim." At this point, bless her southern baptist soul, she got a shocked look on her face, plopped down on the couch and states matter-of-factly that Muslims scare her. After twenty minutes listening to how evil Muslims are (I was working on patience), she reiterated that she didn't feel comfortable spending time with a Muslims and alluded to the fact that neither should I (right, because I remember asking you.) I just stopped listening until she got the hint and mid sentence just left.

To say the least I was really shocked after my roommate encounter--I guess I'd had more faith in American mentality that what I'd witnessed! To top it off, the next day the Norwegian crazy let loose--all in the name of cleansing Europe of Muslims. Bah! I just don't get it. I mean, I understand that it's not any sect of Christianity (something western culture is comfortable with), maybe Kevin Costner's Robin Hood and other pop culture references to the crusades scare people a bit, and amen to the craziness of 9/11 and Osama Bin Laden. But to me, anyone can be an extremist in their religion--hello Big Love? Waco, Texas? Purple Koolaid drinkers? Therefore, how is it possible that people go through middle school, high school, undergrad and, more often that not, graduate programs maintaining such biases? Truly religious people are good no matter how they categorize God. MK talks about God's roll in his life way more than I ever do. When he moved, he introduced himself to his neighbors to ask if there was anything he can do to serve them. And he gives people the benefit of the doubt way more than my prideful little heart ever does. So, how exactly is he an evil person, let alone a terrorist?! (On a side note, being categorized as a terrorist is one reason he states for why he'll never grow a beard.) As I expressed my exasperation to him over my roommates rant, I asked him if he still comes in contact with a lot of bias. "Of course, the media doesn't do much to help portray Muslims in the best light. We are 'different' and have no advocate to prove otherwise. It is what it is," he says. Then, instead of getting mad at my story (like I was), he replies straight faced, "what 'talk'? How to connect the red wire to the blue wire?"

We both burst out laughing. I guess if you can't beat the terrorist jokes, join them...

6 comments:

Helen said...

wow. but at least he's good natured about it!!

M. said...

Yeah. And this should also not be confused with the rant she had at my Polish roommate expressing her strong feelings toward not allowing immigrants into the U.S. because they're stealing jobs--something her dad did not work hard to let happen. I told her, "she's probably just upset that Asians are better massage therapists than her."

Miss Amy said...

You cannot rationalize with ignorance, Melinda. She is obviously small minded. Anyone who has "God" in their heart, truly, would never judge or assume these things about another human being. I'm proud of you for the patience! I certainly would have had a hard time keeping my cool. MK sounds like an amazing man.

Unknown said...

I agree with the whole freedom of religion principle (call me crazy), and have actually found way more in common with anyone who is religious at all. Muslim, Jewish, whatever it may be. Hooray for anyone who believes in a God who helps us to be better people and has commandments to follow. Traditions and religion help so many people to find happiness. Maybe she just hasn't met the right Muslim yet. ;)

RuSty and LaLa said...

People are dumb.

Michelle Carr said...

WTF....people kill me!