7.26.2011

AnD iT wAs aLL YeLLoW

Well, at least the newest portion of my wardrobe is. I have a friend who is an obsessive climber. Actually, I feel like in that context "obsessive" has a negative connotation, and it shouldn't. He loves climbing and he's really good at it. He's one of those fortunate people in the world that has found a way to get sponsored to do his hobby--I'm still trying to figure out that travel writing stuff! For example, a group in the UK has paid for him to go to Morocco, India and other exotic locations for big walling and other crazy climbs.

Along with this panache for climbing comes a need for a lot of gear, and really nice gear at that. During one of our random catch-ups (a six hour time difference from his current Swiss-based locale makes them fairly infrequent) that he asked for my girly opinion on gear. He sent me a link and asked what colour (did that spelling just for him) rain jacket I thought he should get. Of the five or so colors, I told him to get the blue or the orange. I could tell he wasn't quite happy with that answer and asked him what others had said. Apparently we were all in agreement but he really wanted the yellow one. I told him NOT to get the yellow because he'd look like Tweety Bird, I even sent him a link to forest noises calling him home. He argued the yellow would make him easier to spot if he fell somewhere (yikes!) and said he'd continue to think about it. A few days later I got an email from him showing his new coat in all its glory. I laughed a bit (mostly because I had this photo in my head) but was not at all surprised he'd gone with what he wanted. Why he asked for girls opinions, I have no idea!

Well, the summer has gone by and after purchasing some sandals in AZ, a belt in NYC and then last week a skirt and top from Anthropologie, I realized EVERYTHING I've purchased is yellow! I sent him a text with this photo (right) stating: "...I must admit-with chagrin-something to you. I stand by the fact your new coat makes you look like tweety bird, but i just realized everything I've bought this summer is yellow!!!" I can only imagine the gloating that most likely took place. Apparently K is ahead of the curve--A climbing trend setter. Aren't they usually grungy/haphazards? The world never ceases to amaze!


KM in his tweety bird glory vs. My varied summer purchases

5 comments:

Helen said...

Love that Anthro top! Come visit so I can borrow :)

Anonymous said...

Is your friend in a bathroom? He knows he can take the tag off once he buys it, right? ;)

M. said...

bah ha, I asked him the same thing. Being a boy, it's the only mirror he has in his place. And YOU are one to talk about removing tags... mmmhmm. ;)

Jecca Lee Ivie Johnson said...

Yellow is my favorite color, but I look terrible in it. Isn't that sad?

annie said...

i love that color! i made my bridesmaids wear it. some loved it, a few hated it. i truly thought they all looked fabulous. yay tweety!