9.08.2011

LiKe BaMbi On iCe

I got a little [more than a little] overwhelmed yesterday. I did the reading, I even thought I kind of understood it. But then I got to Econ class and I was close to tears at least four times. All those uses of the hypothetical x, y and unit A? I don't get it, my brain literally shuts down. I need tangible (not to be confused with tangent to the slope, that too is weird) examples to wrap my head around, which I'm lucky my professor gives sometimes.

I try not to glaze over it because I know it's important, but sometimes I feel like when my laptop overheats and just shuts down. Slope? Intercept? axX+ayY=R? What the... can I just paint it instead? My brain looks at this and just short circuits. So instead I start thinking about how it would be interesting to genetically understand how being good at something--think athletics, maths or creativity-- is passed down through genes (and why I didn't get my dad's genius math gene.) I mean, how fascinating is that?! Not helpful but it somewhat curbs the spiral effect of, if I don't understand this how will I pass the midterm, let alone the final? If I get an F I get kicked out of school. If I don't get a 3.0 I can't graduate...How many classes like this do I have to take? Should I be doing this at all... what am I doing???

Me + econ + life = overwhelmed

now that's an equation I get.

On a side note, I just decided to google the word "overwhelmed" and I came up with these images. I like the donkey best. I think it brings some levity to the word. Bravo to whomever conceptualized it!

2 comments:

Miss Amy said...

LOL The DONKEY! I feel this way sometimes too!!!! Although, Econ + Amy = enemies. I'm sorry you feel so overwhelmed. Tutor? Xanax?! What can I do for you babe? send edememe? :)

RuSty and LaLa said...

Love the donkey! The best part about it, he is probably happy to have a break.