I found this post that I wrote way back when I was in the Netherlands for work. I'm not sure why I never finished it... but thought it was fitting since I leave for Europe three months. (holy crap I can't believe it!)I’m falling in love with Europe all over again. But not for the reason most Americans do. You know, the trying to be more sophisticated than we really are, eating better made ice cream, better made chocolate, the wide assortment of pastries and wider assortment of languages (and museums). No, I already loved Europe for those reasons.
Right now, however, I’m sitting in my hotel room staring out the window, being greeted by a bright sky, and did I mention it’s nearly 10pm? It reminds me of my trip to Sweden last year when I would wake up each morning at 3am thinking it was 10am, and race to bed after midnight because the sun had just set and I didn’t know where the day had gone. Ah, the sun! It creates so much promise, provides so many more moments to relish. Think about it, when was the last time you stared off into the distance with the moon as backdrop? A setting sun however? It is so much more inviting. Maybe it’s our British roots, but when the sun goes down or when the rain lets loose, we get grumpy, we race home, and we hole in like Armageddon was in T minus 3. Finishing work, finishing a late dinner with colleagues and still having time to bask in the sun… it provides so much more time for reflection, a time to unwind and enjoy a day, before (literally) the day is over. I seriously, seriously need to move to Europe. In the mean time, can someone please make me an I heart EU tshirt? Anyone? I’ll trade you for an I heart NY?
1 comment:
Great story.... I feel like I'm there too :)
Post a Comment