12.28.2011

A bUsY DaY iN LoNdOn ToWn

You know, British people complain about the weather a lot. Well, mostly they wait for nice days to do things... but what I've realized in my time (yes winters) there is that those days are far and few between! Instead, you have to, as Churchill (and every cliche person who now has it as their journal, a pillow, a poster, blog etc.) would say, "keep calm and carry on."

So, despite torrential downpours, blustery afternoons and chilling evenings, Naye, Amy, Duncan and I made the most of our two days in London. Well, mostly; we did sleep in and laze about the first day.

Challenge 1: Getting out the door. But we did... and it was so momentous we took a photo! Okay, not really but I did love Dunc's apartment in Maida Vale. There are really ghetto flats across the street and when we pulled up I prayed he didn't live in one of them. I think the contrast made me even happier than I would have normally been when we walked into his flat.



Challenge 2: Purchase show tickets for Amy, Naye, Emilia and I...and later finding chocolates for the show. Conscious of the fact that we were all poor, we chose Legally Blonde. Alas, I still haven't seen Wicked but seeing LB in Europe, hilarious. Especially when they sing "is he gay or European?"

Challenge 3: Climbing the Lion. As discussed here.

Challenge 4: Finding Prince Harry at Buckingham Palace. Still no luck. With the locked gates and barbed wire made, you'd think they didn't want us or something.



Challenge 6: The chaos known as Harrod's annual sale. It was so hot I felt like I was going to pass out, but we managed... and even came out with some goods! I personally splurged on some Armani lipstick, two kids aprons, a teddy bear and some baking mittens (yikes, all together that makes me seem like a 1950s house wife. Only lipstick for me, the rest are gifts for the sobrinos.)


Challenge 7: Finding the Churchill War Room museum. Then upon finding it trying to find each other within it. Oh, and taking these WWII posters seriously.



Challenge 8: Staying dry in a downpour with only two lame umbrellas while trying to find the nearest tube station. Eh, what's a little rain?


Challenge 9:Finding good indian food. Waterlogged and starving, we made our way to Brick Lane for some good Indian food. Yeah, I'm still looking for some. Our Bangladeshi menu left a lot to be desired (expect for sugar... there was a lot of sugar in my curry) but I knew it would be sub-par--despite Duncan's source recommendation--because once again they didn't have Malai Kofta.

No comments: