As soon as we walked in I knew I would love the atmosphere but hate the food. Why? The restaurant was too fancy. Cocktails, a piano man (see background photo left), fancy decor and a doorman. My philosophy is, these countries aren't fancy, the people who are day in/day out making the food aren't fancy... so if you want good, legit food from those countries don't go where it's fancy! Therefore, the BEST Indian and Mexican you will ever have in your life will no doubt come from a hole in the wall, not a five star hotel.
Almost to prove my point, they didn't have Malai Kofta (my fav). Not to mention their appetizers consisted of butternut squash and pumpkin samosas (wha?????) and crab rangoons (um, wrong country.) I contentedly ate my dish... while mourning no malai kofta. I think MK felt the same because when we got in the car to leave, he turns to me and says, "I'm starving. Can we stop by the Kabob Palace?" Just to note, all you non-D.C. people, Kabob Palace is the GRITTIEST but most amazing kabob joint in town.
I think that proves my point.
1 comment:
When someone can come to the same conclusions you just have, is when you can call yourself CULTURED!! Bravo, bravo!! And who adds sugar, soda to Mexican food anyway??? Hint: only Gringo places like Cafe Rio. Yeah for hole-in-the-wall places!!
Post a Comment