12.20.2011

My RoYaL TaNnEnBauM

As in Christmas tree, not to be confused with these Royal Tenenbaums. I don't remember when exactly I wanted to experience the Christmas Markets in Germany, but they have been on my list for quite a few years. In fact, when I went to Europe after Christmas 2008 I was so bummed that all the Christmas Markets had been closed! I vowed that next time, I would come in time to enjoy them.

Thus, when my parents and I decided to head to Europe for Christmas this year, I planned ahead. Paris I was flexible on but Germany, no way. I was really happy when Rob said he wanted to go to Germany too. We threw around Munich, Berlin, Dusseldorf and finally decided on Berlin. However, since I had been busy with school and trying not to kill myself at work I had no time to prepare. On my flight from Brussels I ended up sitting next to a Canadian guy who had been living in Berlin for a year. He became my tour guide, writing all the places I should go, what markets were the best--all on a barf bag--and even basically taking me to my hotel. Bless kind people!

The next night, with barf bag information in tow, Rob, Brett and I headed to Christmas market #1: the Charlottenburg Market, which is a fantastic market on the outskirts of Berlin set to the backdrop of the Charlottenburg Palace. Then the next evening we hit up Potsdamer Platz and Alexander Platz as well. I'll be honest, every five shops was the same thing and if there ever was anything I wanted it was way to expensive too buy. If I could afford it, it was mostly meh. However... the food on the other hand was fantastic. Hot drinks, fresh bratwurst, currywurst, roasted chestnuts, waffles, jumbo chocolate dipped pretzels and more. yummmm.






Charlottenburg Palace


Potsdamer Platz market


Alexanderplatz Market and store window @ Alexanderplatz (Berlin Wall!)

No comments: