12.21.2011

HoUsE oF mAnY LaWs

Let's go to the Pergamom, I mean the Perganon... no Per-Ga-MON. Whatever you feel like calling it, beware; there are a lot of rules for just one museum. Not that I have a problem with rules, but maybe just post them somewhere? Each of us got yelled at no less than two times. I think Brett won the day with four chastisements in the short time we were there.

Of all the museums we had to choose from in Berlin, my sparse internet research said the Pergamon was the best. So, one of our last stops before I headed to the airport (once again a botched experience) was the Pergamon museum. Perhaps it was because I had little expectation, but I was completely blown away. When people ask me if I'd ever go back to Berlin, I say absolutely. I really want to check out the rest of Museum Island.

After following a group of school kids from the metro stop (side note: I'm consistently amazed that regardless of country, English curse words manage to transcend age and language barriers) we headed in to get tickets only to be told we had to go outside again and behind this weird curtain to get tickets... yeah, because that's where I'd normally look for tickets. We then dropped of our coats, got our free audio guides and made our way inside.

The first salon you walk into is a reconstruction of the Pergamon Alter--amazing. Rob and I sat on its steps listening to how its original location was on a grassy cliff overlooking the sea {sigh} while we waited for Brett to stow his backpack after getting yelled at. As we sat there, I felt like I was about to pass out so grabbed my water bottle for a quick swig of water. Mid-swig I got yelled at by mall museum security. A few seconds later, Rob, who had shifted up a few steps, got yelled at for sitting in the wrong spot. Now, please look at the photo of these steps... how exactly do you sit in the wrong place? Let alone, do you see a sign anywhere that says where you can and can't sit...or drink water?! NO!

We continued to meander around the museum looking at all things ancient Greek, Turkish, Babylonian and Syrian. Towards the end of our time there, we all met up again in the Islamic Art section. I had been there longer and decided to wait for Brett and Rob at the entrance, leaning against the concrete stairwell wall. Well, that is until I got yelled at not to touch the wall. Wait, seriously?! It had no art, I had showered that day and where does it say I can't touch an unassuming wall?! Ends up Brett and Rob had been yelled at for similar things. At that point, we decided to bounce before we got reprimanded again for talking in the exit corridor and instead find some currywurst, which after being scolded the day prior we knew should not include sauerkraut.

No comments: