12.22.2011

iF iT rAiNs iN SpAiN...

Then why are all the baths in England? My flight over to London from Berlin was ridiculous. But I choose not to focus on that... Instead I'll focus on the next day's occurrences. Namely, the fact that I finally (after how many times there?!) got to see two iconic British sites: Stonehenge and Bath.

Since my flight had arrived late and it's a bit of a drive from Gatwick, we had all slept in and somewhat doddled around. But come 10am, my uncle announced we'd be leaving at 11am to go to Stonehenge and Bath. After all, with only small amounts of daylight (8am-4pm to be exact) you have to make the most of it. I quickly threw on some clothes and was ready to go! I argue that in a sense it was good we didn't get an early start to Stonehenge because it would have been packed with Druids, being the winter solstice and all.

As it was, when we arrived the parking lot was packed with campers...and I have no doubt people doing chants in a nearby field. My mom and I actually paid to go in while everyone else just stood around the gate, watching us go around the marked path. It's a fascinating thing, trying to figure out how they got the massive stones from the north, let alone how they stacked and organized them so the sun perfectly aligns with the alter stone during the winter and summer solstice. It may not be a 7 Wonders of the World anymore, which is as preposterous as Pluto not being a planet, but in my book it is still is amazing! I have to say though, I just kept thinking, how annoying is it that because of one moron no one can go up and actually walk around Stonehenge. the Druids should sacrifice them...



From Stonehenge we made our way to Bath (pronounced baaaaaaath) and partook of the age old [but commercialized] lunch of Cornish pasties (even writing this, I'm craving one) before walking down to the Roman Baths. This time my dad went in with me while everyone else waited outside in the not-so-blustering weather. We tried to hurry in to beat the large motor coach of Chinese tourists entering at the same time, but somehow got lost in the mix. It took a bit longer to get a good photo, but it is still a beautiful place. Why can't I have a spa like that near my house? I'm quite sure it would cure my aliments too...


Next we popped into the Cathedral then walked up to the Circus (oops, missed the Crescent) to view the famous houses at sunset. I admit that one window was open and I may have slowly walked by, mouth gaping--Oh, how the one percent lives--before running to the car to get out of the typical British rain and drive off into the already setting sun. Not bad for a [short] day's work.

No comments: