11.06.2012

Americana Ele{vic}ctorius

IMG_3315This year's presidential election was more charged than normal among certain circles {especially #MtIda). I had one roommate that had volunteered at the Republican National Convention, had canvased all areas and had signs for Mitt Romney strategically placed along our road. Another roommate was an ardent Obama fan and often would sneak out of the house to watch debates in a more "democratically leaning" venue.

This year it wasn't just Republican vs. Democrat... it was Mormon Republican vs. African American Democrat. It was an awkward divide. I personally had a hard time with a lot of good ol' Mitt's philosophies, but i really liked that he came from a business background--not the schmoozy lawyer base most do-- and I wanted to see how he that frame of mind and training could help shape America.  Yes, and he was Mormon. On the other hand, I loved the environmental and foreign policy views of Obama, but I found him lacking experience, full of an empty promise term and I hated that it seemed like it was American Idol president elections, not really who was most qualified (Mitt's TV gaffs aside.)

I was at home surrounded by Romney lovers and would go to work and be surrounded by Obama's fan club. And there I was, stuck in the middle. Honestly, even when I walked across the street before work in the a.m. to vote, I went in the booth I was stressed out, but my roommate was volunteering at the election booth and (even though she absolutely wasn't) I was scared she was looking at me waiting for me to decide. Ah!!

Well, that night I had class but he let us out early so we could watch in anticipation --Virginia was a swing state after all. I arrived home to a house full of people, but greeting me was none other than Romney and Obama themselves! I grabbed some snacks, pulled up a seat and watched as history was made... but not by getting a Mormon president.

[gallery type="square" ids="4776,4777,4779,4778,4780"]

No comments: