1.07.2013

DéTàj Vu

IMG_0371 - CopyDriving 6+ hours in one day, snapping a few jumping photos, posing with the locals for a few (and then some) photos  and of course documenting every adorable kid I came across. What do those all have in common, oh just another trip to a little place called the Taj Mahal.

Nearly two years after I made my first trip (in soaring temps) Ana and I woke up early Monday morning to the unusual freezing temps of Delhi and departed the Jaju Enclave toting a blanket each, snacks, an ipad for movie relief and began our journey down to Agra in our hire car. After a few quick stops along the way, we arrived at the Taj Mahal.

Ignoring the feral donkeys and camels, the east point entry is much nicer than the north entry gate I'd used before. It has the official ticket purchasing counter, which includes booties to cover your feet when you enter the Taj as well as a free bottle of water (more useful in summer months than when it's 50F.) We practically had to run away from the "official/free" tour guides haranguing us but we couldn't quite get away from the transportation. 'Miss, miss! We take you cheap!" After a few hundred yards we relented and, instead of walking the quarter-mile to the Taj, climbed in the pedicab and watched this poor, gangly 15-yr old (I admit, laughing a bit) struggle up the hill toward the gate.

The entire way down to Agra I'd been praying the dense fog would lift so Ana could see the Taj in all it's glory.  As we walked through the gate, we could at least make out the edifice and we began soaking the experience in... all the while praying the fog would lift. We even had a glorious plan to pretend it was warm in all our photos "I'm on a beach! I'm on a beach!" We thought it was working, until we realized everyone around us was still in their North Face and parkas, oops.

Regardless of temperature, you can't go wrong at the Taj Mahal. To our luck, the fog began to burn off and after making our way slowly through the Taj and around the grounds, stopping for yoga photo ops, dotting on the kiddos, and of course stopping for ever-present paparazzi (some Aussie guys said to me, "you've got quite the photo shoot today!" I blame it on the blonde hair... unlike Ana who was the exotic Bollywood star)  we grabbed some amazing photos.

I have to say, it doesn't matter how many times you've seen this structure, you have a hard time turning your back to it and leaving; It is amazing.

[gallery type="slideshow" ids="4445,4408,4417,4409,4416,4413,4419,4414,4415,4418,4422,4424,4425,4426,4428,4427,4423,4429,4430,4431,4432,4439,4440,4441,4442,4407,4443,4444,4433,4434"]

No comments: