1.07.2013

The Curse of Flash Touring

[caption id="attachment_4470" align="alignright" width="300"]Historic site #1: name... erm, we don't know Historic site #1. Name: erm, we don't know.[/caption]

When Ana and I decided to go to Delhi before our course began in Bangalore, we knew time would be tight. The minute we got to the Jajus' house, they helped us plan our whirlwind-of-the-north trip. Ana had never seen the Taj Mahal so that was #1 on the list. The family consistently told us taking the train was a bad idea because the fog was delaying/canceling most trips. They gave the tour bus suggestion, but that seemed quite miserable to me (it also meant we wouldn't get back in time to spend time with the family) so we chose to hire a driver who would take us to the Taj Mahal and the Agra Fort and have us back in time for dinner.

This plan hinged on the fact that we would leave no later than 7am and return no later than 2pm (a farce, to be sure). We didn't make the best time because the driver kept getting lost and traffic was a bit iffy leaving Delhi. However, the views of Indians huddled together in tuk-tuks wearing beanies with saris is something I will never forget. Unfortunately, I wasn't fast enough with my camera to take very many photos, but I did get some of a creepy snake charmer man as well as our breakfast/coffee/bathroom break pit-stop.

Later, he turned into a historic site that caused a bit of alarm--we had a schedule to keep! We decided that we'd go look at the grounds, since we were here, but didn't want to pay to go in. We ran in, took some fantastic photos and approximately 10 minutes later were off to the Taj! However, now looking back I want to know what the name of the place was but even googling I can't find the name of this beautiful place. All I can say is, tragic! Oh, and this is also where we hatched our plan to pretend it was summer, even though we were bundled even inside the car... something about the driver wanting to keep the window down (I don't think they know how to use defrost.) Prizes to anyone who actually knows the name of this place!

*author's note: We spent "too much time" at the Taj, didn't leave Agra until 4, so had a 7 hour car ride back home. Praise to Apple and its iPad who helped us pass the time.

[gallery type="slideshow" ids="4462,4464,4488,4467,4465,4466,4468,4469,4470,4471,4489,4490,4474,4473,4475,4476"]

No comments: