Sometimes no matter how uncomfortable something might be, it is disrespectful not to acknowledge it. I knew when we were deciding what to do on our last day in Munchen that as depressing and uncomfortable as it might be, it would be disrespectful not to go to the Dachau concentration camp, the first WWII concentration camp in Germany, which was within metroing distance of downtown. Luckily, we were blessed with a beautiful sunny day to contrast the solemnity we were willingly walking into.
After we at breakfast at a traditional German pub (citing the typical dietary problems) and had a bit of levity watching the cuckoo clock, we purchased a few pretzels and apple strudels and made our way to Dachau. When we arrived, there was a large garden and a very silent tranquility that meets you as you walk across the threshold and through the gates that state "work will make you free", which history proves was a blatant lie, unless you accept death as a form of freedom.
We wandered through the open prison barracks, skirted through the living quarters once occupied by the doomed and (at least I) quickly exited out of some palletable discomfort. We walked the grounds, acknowledging where many stood at attention in pouring rain, snow and harsh sun to their death and declaring "okay, this is enough" we left. I've done the Holocaust Museum in the U.S., which is extremely well done, but regardless, there is only so much my heart can comfortably recognize the evil that takes place in the world. So there you have it universe, I went. I acknowledged the thousands that died out of hatred, cruelty and bigotry. Got a little bit angry on behalf of the victims that nature is erasing their pain. Wherever they are, I mourn their loss and the millions like them in the world that experience similar situations.
[gallery ids="5407,5408,5409,5410,5411,5412"]
6.30.2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment