7.05.2013

Czech Us Out!

[gallery type="slideshow" ids="5515,5513,5514,5521,5524,5526"]

I know when a lot of people travel part of the adventure is to find and discover new eats. However with all the dietary restrictions we both have to deal with, when we find a good place we STICK WITH IT! The first night we arrived in Prague we happened upon Cafe Corso, which had the best salad I'd had in years, and a variety of fresh fish, olives etc., for M. Then the next morning we stumbled upon the Kings Court Cafe for breakfast which had a goat cheese, honey and egg toast I fell in love with and ... fresh fish for M! The next time it came to eating it didn't cross our minds to go anywhere else but these two locations. After all, when is the next time we might get to enjoy something so delicious? Enjoy it while you can, that's what I say!

With a perfect breakfast to fuel our  morning, we wandered to the town square and enjoyed the beautiful architecture. The one thing I can be grateful to Hitler for is loving this city so much he refused to let it be bombed. Yes, it was because he wanted it to be his new capital once he'd taken over everything, but we can overlook that small detail? We watched the cuckoo clock on the hour then headed to the meeting spot for the city tour we'd booked, which provided the perfect vantage point for us to figure out what we'd want to explore on foot as well as some amazing photo ops:

[gallery type="slideshow" ids="5516,5528,5529,5530,5531,5532,5533,5534,5535,5539,5574,5575,5576"]

After the tour I was so excited to finally cross the Saint Charles Bridge off my life's To Do list. We wandered from the center square, checking out a few shops (so many fantastic jewelry shops!) along the way, then began our slow wander across the bridge to Old Praha. The bridge was beautiful and luckily not too crowded. When we got to the other side I was even more mesmerized by the architecture. However, we didn't wander too far since we were coming back the next day. We bought a bottle of water, a few granola bars for later (and hazelnut kit kats) and headed back.

[gallery type="slideshow" ids="5577,5542,5505,5582,5541,5543,5579,5581,5517,5580,5583"]

Once we returned to the other side Mukarram saw these medieval donut/pastry shop that he wanted to try. Him, sweets? Okay! It was fantastic (and mouth-watering) to watch them make the dough: role it out, place it on a hot roller over a fire and then, to our specifications, fill it with Nutella (mine) or jam (Mukarram). We happily  munched on them as we walked around the Jewish Quarter, which is where we wanted to eat dinner until we realized it was their Sabbath day so everything was closed. I was actually really sad; there were some amazing restaurants in the area! Instead, we window shopped at places we could never afford, enjoyed the architecture and headed back to... Cafe Corso! That is after we stopped off at the largest Manufactura shop, as luck had it, for Mukarram to purchase some soaps. While in the store I also ended up buying some bath salts for presents and a nativity set for myself. The nativity set went straight to the top of my favorite list. It is made from terracotta, has Czech traditionally dressed people and a medieval horse instead of a camel! A pretty Prahafect day, in my book!

[gallery type="slideshow" ids="5545,5547,5526,5549,5550,5548,5584,5585,5586,5587"]

No comments: