I had Good King Wensceslas in my head the entire day -- Christmas in July, anyone? -- as we wandered around Old Praha (I admit that I confuse it half way through with Yankee Doodle, but Wensceslas can go somewhere on a pony, right?) It was a rainy day but we managed to avoid the morning mist in St. Victus cathedral, Praha Castle and the older adjoining churches and municipal buildings dating back thousands of years. I enjoyed every single one of them, except the torture chambers, which I allowed M to visit on his own while I enjoyed the views from the castle wall. The old barracks, dubbed Golden Lane, housed artisanal shops, which we enjoyed wandering through the creepy doll house and the wood shop where we purchased gifts for friends/family, until it was so hot I nearly passed out!
[gallery type="slideshow" ids="5551,5552,5553,5595,5597,5554,5555,5596,5556,5557,5558,5559,5591,5560,5561,5592,5593,5594"]
We made our way down from the castle and, starving, purchased some watermelon and potatoes for "lunch" to enjoy in the now very prominent sun. It was fresh, light and hit the spot! We then wandered through Old Praha, across the St. Charles Bridge and window shopped beautiful crystal, jewelry, even some silver candlesticks, and a last-ditch attempt to purchase nesting dolls (I agonized over several, realizing how much they cost, until I learned they were made in Russia ... and promptly walked out the door?!)
Earlier in the vacation we decided that we would celebrate our two year anniversary in Prague with a special night out. Mukarram purchased tickets to Vivaldi's Four Seasons symphony (my favorite) so leaving the nesting dolls behind, we made our way to the PROMS where the concert was being held and settled into our seats. I had a grin from ear to ear the entire time. We had balcony seats where we could look around at the art deco paintings and gilded ceiling while listening to some of the most beautiful music. I was also really happy that I got to share Vivaldi with Mukarram, who'd never before heard the Four Seasons!
After the symphony we walked the short 100 feet to Cafe Corso for a nice festive (and final) dinner. We were busy chatting when M pulled out a small jewelry box and gave me a beautiful pendant necklace for our anniversary. I was stunned, this vacation was a gift enough! He told me that while I was in California he had wandered through the street fair that took place in Clarendon and, with me on his mind, happened upon a jeweler who made these extraordinary pendants. I blame it on lack of sleep, the fact I was so sentimental having shared Vivaldi with the person who means the world to me, knowing our time in Europe was coming to a close ... and of course the deep gratitude and love I have for him .. and I just started waterworks. Of course I felt silly because the tables were so close together and we were at a table adjacent to the busy square, but I couldn't help it. It is an evening that is ingrained in my heart.
[gallery type="rectangular" ids="5598,5599,5565,5564,5566,5563" orderby="rand"]
*let the record also show that I'm 99% sure our driver the next day to the airport was the real Transporter.
7.06.2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment