9.29.2008

(LiFe'S "To Do") - (2) = GrEaT vAcAtiOn

If you have ever perused the side of my blog you have noticed my "Life's To Do" list. Among them you may have noticed my #1: See all the 7 wonders of the world (which recently changed, but hey, more places to go... DARN!)

Wonders of the World: 3 down 4 to go

*I'm going to Peru in July, if you want in let me know!!

As with many of my favorite memories, this one came on a spur of the moment decision. One gchat status and a "sure why not" later... in 1 hour I had heard about, researched tickets and purchased a flight to Cancun, Mexico. Yeah, whats up.

Of all the places I've been in the world its a bit sad that the only part of Mexico, my neighboring country, I've seen is TJ. I was therefore pretty excited- good food, amazing beaches, a chance to speak some espanol and huh, imagine that, see a WONDER OF THE WORLD! Chichen Itza is in short, AMAZING. the Hub of the late Mayan Empire, it is home to the first astronomy tower, inventors of zero, our modern calendar, players of some pre-Harry Potter quidditchesque game etc. We had a guide who was Mayan and had 3 masters in various topics related to the region so needless to say it was the perfect tour for me!

Next to checked off?
Well... move over Scuba Steve and make room for Scuba Skea!
You may notice a bit further down on the list "snorkel in the Great Barrier Reef". Well, I have used the word dive and snorkel interchangeably for a long time, what I REALLY meant was a) I want to learn to dive, b) I want to dive in the Great Barrier Reef. So, you guessed it, screw people telling me I couldn't dive because of Diabetes! I found all the loop holes, squirmed my way in and one week later, 200 pages of reading, and a couple of dives in the beautiful ocean and part "a" is fulfilled. I'm now certified to wear the sexy get-up, skilled at snorting salt water out of my mask and swimming with the "little fishies". *sigh* life is grand! Next stop... AUS!

Other highlights of the vaca:
1. Ends up it was a destination wedding of sorts for the Berg couple. (My friends' Michelle and Tyler took a tour of the hotel as a married couple so we could get a discount on our Chichen Itza tour. Oh, and no, they aren't dating!) They also later participated in the "Perfect Couple" game. Pretty funny...

2. Jumping 13 meters (multiple times) from a cliff into a Cenote. I certainly have the feet shaped bruises to prove it!

3. Did I mention our Westin Hotel was brand new? Next to the beach? That the water was crystal blue?

4. Discovering a taco stand frequented by the locals. Que Sabrosa!

5. Across from our hotel was a large store, I like to call it the best store EVER, also known as Zara. Dropped some $ and well worth it!

6. Discovering (in Walmart) a Tangerine flavored water, I miss it already!

7. During "down time" we watched the whole 2nd season of Arrested Development. Just as good the 2nd time around! (Especially the Chicken Dance) cha chi, cha chi...

here is a smattering of photos... more to come, my battery was running on empty so I don't have some of the REALLY good ones yet!





isla mujeres, jumping off the cenote, scuba, chichen Itza, hotel pool
hotel, beach, after 1st scuba dive, "perfect couples" game
isla dock, Amish on a snorkeling boat??, chitz
Michelle M and I @ Isla Mujeres, looking down @ cenote, chitz,
mmmh, margarita (virgin folks), our crush (cha chi, cha chi)



12 comments:

Charlotte Rose said...

Cooooooooool Mel.

Unknown said...

Oh! I want to go! That looks amazing. I guess it kindof beats our Mexican vaca together!

M. said...

oooh, Serena... NOTHING could compare to our trip. 2 Honda Civics full of friends, my "18th BD", that beach i'll never be able to find again but was paradise, the rice and mussels... el gigante ;) they are just dif. categories!

Schlofmans said...

This sounds amazing! I am so happy you could go and have this fun experience! Can't wait to see you tomorrow!

Erin said...

Wow, what fun! You are living life to it's fullest.

I love change too! It is too much fun. No doctor necessary!

Jecca Lee Ivie Johnson said...

You are so adventurous! I wish I could go with you on ALL your many trips! Wait, I forgot, I'm pretty little, maybe you could just stick me in you backpack and take me along? I would kill to go to Australia and swim with nemo and his papa! Well, someday, maybe I'll have some money to travel with and not pump directly into school!

Miss Amy said...

why why why didn't i go to petra when i was in jordan??!!??!! i'm such an idiot. well... actually, the 'security team' at our hotel warned against women traveling too far outside the city that week. FABULOUS.

i love all your pictures. looks like a great trip!! you're the foxiest scuba skea out there, for sho!!

Anonymous said...

Hi there and thanks for stopping!

A jump at 13 meters in a cenote, in mexico? The way I got into the cenote was into a hole in the ground and I think you need to add a new book to your to do list! Have you read any books by salmon rushdie? See you again soon on Red eyes

Lincoln and Alisia said...

Oh my gosh, that looked like SO MUCH FUN!!!

PS, how did you make that awesome collage?

Catherine said...

you need to teach me how to do this whole montage of pictures thing... i love it!

Jess said...

I love Isla Mujeres! Isn't it so beautiful there? The water is so clear and blue. Did you happen to run into a little place that they call "Beisbol tacos"? It is by the baseball field, hence the name beisbol tacos :) Delisioso!

RuSty and LaLa said...

Um...aressted dev. My FAV!! I almost died when the whole family was doing there own version of a chicken. Sigh...I heard they are coming out with a movie. Maybe a rumor but I hope it is true!

fun trip
I love mexico.