11.04.2008

MoTiVaTiOn Is KeY

The more I learn about marketing, the more I think it is aaaaaall about manipulating peoples' flaws. Well, no that is pretty drastic, but I know the biggest key is knowing your "enemies" (people not willing to give up money/time) strengths and weaknesses. It kind of makes me loath marketing...minus the funny commercials.

Confused? Well my senior year at University I took a class where we studied other countries governments and in one section their voter turn-out ratios. In the "modernized" world the U.S. has the lowest percentage of voter turn out- yes, pathetic. So what is the key that the U.S. is missing? Some countries (such as Australia) make it mandatory to vote, so pure coercion. Vote=keep money. NO me gusta. Other countries (several in Europe) give you the day-off so each person has a chance to vote. Fantastic! Take 10 minutes to vote and your day is free!!!

America? They leave it up to our "civic duty". However, in newer generations it obviously is not working. Instead they turn to freebies. I cock my head a little bit and wonder what this says about America. Had I so desired, I could have easily flashed my I Voted sticker and slovenly dined on 1)Free Krispy Creme donuts 2) Free scoop of Ben & Jerry's ice cream 3) Free cup of Starbucks coffee. Oh... America.

On a side note, I am pretty excited that this is election has such a high voter turn out, especially in young voters. Go team! Should I mention that it makes my stomach turn to note that many of them don't even know the issues? Thus this election is dubbed "President Idol". But, hey you have to start somewhere right? Donuts and a semi-popularity contest, sounds like a Simpson's episode to me! Yet, no matter the outcome, I am proud of people that voted (as it is one of my passions) that so many MORE people really did care about learning the issues. Because when you realize that what you think and what you do does make a difference, that is what America is really all about.

Now, I bid you farewell as I continue to watch the pole results, crossing fingers Va!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those two commercials are hilarious. I still think you should have gotten me a sticker so I could get the free junk food. geez. Discriminate against the non-citizens!

Jecca Lee Ivie Johnson said...

Voting is so in right now! Like a fad! I want to be cool so of course I voted!

Jecca Lee Ivie Johnson said...

Oh, and to be perfectly honest, I only created one costume for each girl this year. The others? I said, "Go pick something out of the dress-up box." It's all about being prepared ahead of time and using all of your resources. I work as little as possible!

Anonymous said...

Here, here! I'm anxious to see what 4 years will bring. The only thing that makes me nervous is that opposition IS good. you always need to see two sides to something and the fact that the House and Senate are also majority Democrat I worry the minority will not be heard....

Miss Amy said...

i am a would be slovenly voter. if we had a ben and jerrys near my house, i would have been first in line!!!! HA....

but, i really do agree....we have to start somewhere. it's like giving a child positive re-enforcement when they do something well. Not negative (Australia). Eventually they will learn it's the right thing to do, and do it willingly...This is of course a Utopian theory...But if offering a cup of coffee or ice cream is all people need (as well as the idea that their contribution as a voter makes for MAJOR change for generations to come), then i say 'give away' corporate america.... do YOUR civic duty and help out the polls.

RuSty and LaLa said...

I got the day off and I ddn exactly that...ten mins to vote then I hit the beach. I was slightly disappointed that I didn't get an "I voted" sticker. I would have been all over all that free stuff!