4.14.2009

OpiNe...SuRveY..BuEhLeR...



To do, or not to do...that is the question. Or more exactly, what is everyone's opinion of a private blog? I've gone back and forth as to whether I should or not. In some ways it really bothers me that people I don't know are reading my blog (or that I don't know who IS reading my blog.) then at other times I couldn't care less and I don't want people to have to jump through another hoop. But... should my life be on public display? hmmm...

I keep going back to the purpose of why I started it: A way for friends from around the world to keep up on my life. And through the random topics I bring up, remember what an idiot I am (and maybe because of it remember why they miss me :)) So, I'm torn...

Private Blog or Public Blog


*survey to close when I make up my mind/in a few weeks ;)

9 comments:

Heidi said...

I waffle back and forth too. I really want a private, and Andy wants a public. One day I think I will just make it private, but for now I don't care.

ANJ said...

public! i never check private blogs... and so just don't post swimsuit pics on here and you'll be good :)

Lincoln and Alisia said...

public! I love google reader, and I won't get instant updates if it is private.

bmz said...

Private. Yes, it's inconvenient, but at least you don't have all your personal information out there for the world to see. We went private, and now we know who reads our blog. Friends I that I didn't know read my blog asked for invites. If people want to read your blog, they can ask you for an invite. If they want to read your blog and they don't know how to ask you for an invite, you just blocked a possible crazy from having access to your personal life!

Unknown said...

Public. I don't know, I mean, is it really that horrible if someone from Switzerland read your blog for 2 seconds before they got bored and stopped? I don't know. I should do some research to see if there really are crazy people out there that find out all of your personal information and stock you. I mean, its not like you put your address and telephone number on there, right? I mean, what kind of "personal information" is on the blog that others would be that interested in? I don't know. I would just like to see some proof that the public thing is so terrible. Maybe they should make a horror movie about it. I bet a lot of people would go private after that! Ha! Which leads me to question:
Do you have a blog stocker, Melinda?

Jecca Lee Ivie Johnson said...

I've been worried about this too. Especially because I post so much of my kids on my blog. Let me know what you decide, and maybe I'll just do what you do because I don't want to decide.

M. said...

Well Serena, I will say when I get that trusty little counter emailed to me every week there are consistently 2 people that I am like "who the crap is that? I don't know anyone in X city in X country." lol. maybe i should just call them out. The randoms don't bother me... even ppl that find it from my friends blogs don't bother me. it's the other ones. Maybe if they admitted they read I wouldn't be so bothered!;)

Still mulling, will let ya know Jeska.

modestmuse said...

PUBLIC! Seriously. Come on. :) Even in my job, they are hypersensitive about people blogging (for safety reasons) but at the same time they love it because it's sort of good publicity for the lifestyle. Even though the security people are SUPER-duper paranoid, I don't know anyone in this career who has a private blog -- and there are LOTS of public ones.

M. said...

Okay, I've decided I'll stay public... for now. However, I've taken all of you off the grid since I can read about your lives via the AMAZING Google Reader!( Let's say I'd appreciate the same sentiment.) :)