5.06.2009

I'LL tAkE jUnE fOr $500

This moment has been in the works for years... My senior year in college I signed up to take the FSO (foreign service officer) exam. But, I heard that even if I was one of the 5 percent that managed to pass the written exam then clawed my way through the orals, I would get shot down because I have diabetes. They don't accept applicants with health problems. So, I dropped out. Gutted.

Now, three years later and a lot of DC-ites telling me that I could be an FSO, I began to test the waters again. I'll first say, I should have taken it three years ago. Back then you got online and signed up for a test. Big whoop. Now, It's ten years worth of job information, personal details my best friends don't even know and six essays. uggg. I dragged my feet on it big time, I started in February for the March exam and... one essay down saw the March date come and go. I write ALL day, I don't want to go home and do it! I started giving myself lectures and deadlines. Those too would come and go with a half hearted effort. Finally, the end of April I fully chastised myself and finished the application (yes, just to take the stupid thing.) I waited...and waited... finally yesterday I got an email giving me the go ahead to schedule my test--June 13th is the big day!

I find it amusing that I seem to go on long vacations right before important tests. However, unlike the LSAT at least I'll have two-ish weeks to brush up for this one. :) So far my study tactics include watching Jeopardy, playing Trivial Pursuit and reading any bit of news I can. Any other study tactics out there I should know about?

[Disclaimer: There is only a small chance I will actually pass the exam, but I'm taking it...that's the important thing here!]

4 comments:

Molly said...

I don't even know what an FSO is, but it sounds very important!!! Congrats!

modestmuse said...

Yay! As everyone says, read The Economist and a major (NY Times, Wash Post) newspaper daily. And get plenty of sleep ;) GOOD LUCK!

RuSty and LaLa said...

sounds awful

Jecca Lee Ivie Johnson said...

Kolby takes boards on the 9th of June, so I'll pray for both of you!!!