7.28.2009

LiFe'S LeMoN iCiNg

Whether it's the best of times or the worst of times, it's the only time we've got.
- Art Buchwald

On Sunday afternoon, walking through New York City, I peaked into a church and took a somber walk through the chapel. I sat for a few minutes, but with nervous energy I headed for the small side cemetery instead. The day was bright, the grass was green and as I wandered I contemplated the short lives (less than 30) these resting people had to live. As I listened to the church bells' call for patrons, I realized I was smiling. Smiling in a cemetery? Yes, I was actually smiling! In the middle of New York it was calm, it was tranquil--a miracle unto itself. At that moment I realized the peal of bells was my icing... my pièce de résistance. It was a small and simple thing, but it made me happy. As I thought of the people I had walked passed... I realized I had a great deal more time than they did to enjoy the things that make me happy. So, I started making a list of all the things I love, as a reminder of how I want to live my life. Seizing each moment, making the best of my lemons, and relishing in loves.

Family*Crisp mountain air*Hiking*Rock Climbing*Peanut butter*Good books*Tiffanys*The elegantly feminine: subtle lipstick, classic black dress, stylish high heels*laughing*sleeping in*Rainy Saturday mornings*Sunny Sunday Afternoons*The Economist*Italian*A Madrileno accent*Smiling strangers*Spicy food--Indian, Thai, Mexican*Big dogs*Long hugs*Little kid kisses*Imagination*Mint Milanos*Prado Museum*St. Pauls Cathedral*Warm sleeping bags*Roasting marshmellows*A stamp in my passport*A good run*My camera*a subtle Wit*Black gel pens*Snail mail*Cheap gas*The East Coast in Fall*The Bustle of London*Piazzas in Italy*Cafes in Madrid*Freshly fallen snow*Chant of a crowd at a soccer match*Cooking with fresh herbs*Healthy competition*Board games*Good manners*Meeting quality people*Catching up with old friends*Late night discussions*Easter*Education*Old barns*A clean room

3 comments:

Helen said...

;) When you move to London, I'm DEFINITELY coming to visit you. Finish up with your papers already!!

Jecca Lee Ivie Johnson said...

I am also excited to get my first stamp in my passport! But I've yet to find a good subtle lipstick.

M. said...

Yeah Jess! :) 5 more weeks.
Try MAC, they seriously have the best lipsticks.