D.C. in the summertime can be a pain, and not just because of the humidity. Beginning with the Cherry Blossom Festival in April, tourists decent upon D.C. like a swarm of flies on an open garbage can (although I resent the imagery that D.C. is a garbage can!) They clog the metro (and take photos of public transport... what the crap?), they cross the street when they don't have right of way (successfully doubling my commute time) and they wear fanny packs that make me very un-proud to be an American.
Now, I realize that we only get this a few months of the year so technically, I have no reason to complain compared to people that live in New York City or London, for example. However, it is still a pain. Yet like stoic Americans, we have found a way to get around it. For example, I only visit the monuments at night. It's cooler, there are less crowds--and if you so desire, you can park near them--thus allowing for a much more pleasant experience.
Sure there are a lot of school kids still mulling around, but far less than daylight hours. So, if you find yourself in the area and in need of assistance, just look for a local. How can you tell who's a local and who isn't, you ask? Simple. Look for the people in exercise gear.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment