Me thinks Hester Prynne would find 2011 quite different but perhaps just as perplexing. In Nathanial Hawethorne's novel Scarlet Letter, our leading lady Miz. Prynne is shunned from society and forced to wear a scarlet "A", representing adultery, on all her clothing in order to remind herself and others of her heinous crime. In modern words, Hester had sex and got knocked up before she was married. If this were to happen today, she would be profusely congratulated and thrown a baby shower. My how times have changed.However, while the scarlet "A" may have disappeared, at times I think it's simply morphed into a consonant--an "S" to be precise. Being a "S"ingle Mormon gal (or gent) in the Mormon world can be a bit perplexing at times. You're taught one of the main purposes of this life is to have a family but................. unless you feel like being a Hester Prynne, no can do. Not only are you not fulfilling expectation but you're told to obtain attributes that will make you better spouse/parent/all-around nurturer for when that time comes (okay, good advice.) Yet the learning curve is a bit brutal, since in certain pockets (like D.C.) we're
So here we are, lonesome singles making our way in the world. Some looking for love, some not really bothered and others not really understanding the game plan in the first place. If we stay in our own little world, it's okay, just like when Hester stayed in her designated area. But then if we go outside our little community, it can get a bit awkward. Always--always--the subject of being single comes up. I can mentally call when it's about to get brought up because the asker, whether it's because they're unsure of perhaps how to ask or if they should ask, becomes a bit shifty and almost grits their teeth, as if my relationship status is the elephant in the room. Now, I will gladly take this shiftiness and subsequent question (honestly, I don't mind discussing at all) especially if it means they refrain from saying that old Mormon adage that makes absolutely no one feel better: "If it doesn't happen now, it will happen in heaven." Really? If you're reading my blog and you think those words bring any sense of solace, ask yourself this, would you ever say to a couple trying to have a baby, "well, at least you'll get some in the eternities!" Lest you think that was a rhetorical question, I'll answer it for you: no, no you wouldn't.
As example of how awkward married members feel around us singles, in the church a couple of years back a whole issue was dedicated to being single in an effort to help us and help marrieds learn to understand us. "That's cool, good idea," I thought. But then I remember reading the opening paragraph stating that "around the world a growing number of people are getting married older," as if being single was an epidemic. Is this how I'm viewed, as a grave statistic that might not right itself? I'm not a disease, and there's so much more to me than this one, apparent red letter. Since when does being single identify who I am? It doesn't even factor into my professional life! At work, my opinion is sought after, my work praised... I'm simply a working adult. I'm also a woman, a sister, a daughter, an aunt, a photographer, a writer, a climber, an avid traveler, an organizational freak, a loyal friend, a reader, a cook, a listening ear, a bargain hunter, a sucker for the empathy card, a snowboarder, a museum junkie, a White Collar/Modern Family lover, a planner, a potter, a history buff, a burgeoning yoga goer etc. etc.
Now, I realize that some of you are probably saying, "well go to a family ward then." But if I do that and NO ONE else does... how does that really help remove my scarlet letter? It would take more than little old me slinking off into a family ward (where they attempt to embrace me for my spinsterhood with consolation that I might get a hot guy in heaven) to change the status quo. And lest you think just us spoiled singles ward area people feel the sting of the scarlet "S", as I've chatted with friends around the world they often express how uncomfortable they feel with the stigma of being single within a family ward. They're often looked at as single first and a person second. Perhaps this illustrates why there's only a 30 percent retention rate among single men over the age of 30 in the church and 60 percent among women. That's sad, really sad.
I agree that singles wards have their time and place, as a bridge between young women/young men and Relief Society/Elders Quorum in the college age of life. But instead of becoming a transitional aid, it has becomes a vice, as if we're stuck in Neverland! I'm not saying I know the solution, or even if there is one. All I know is that at times, I feel this red letter is burning a hole on my front pocket.
8 comments:
I used to feel this way. You just are worlds better at expressing it than I ever was! However..... I realized that the only solution to this oppressive feeling I felt whenever at church events, with married friends, etc....was to stop viewing myself as "one who is marked with the scarlet letter". Once I decided (I mean, completely 100% decided) that I was happy with who I was, did I stop feeling awkward. I knew I was choosing the right. I knew I was active in my calling, obeying the commandments, paying my tithing etc. All the things good little single LDS girls are supposed to do. When it happens, it happens. I do not have a timetable. And if someone else feels awkward, that is THEIR problem, not mine. I choose to deflect any awkwardness right back onto them. I refuse to 'let' someone else make me feel stigmatized, or a single statistic. Nope....I'm happy with me, my friends, my family. The Lord loves you, and I realized that I didn't have true faith when I kept worrying about when I would find a husband. It's hard, but the freedom I feel from changing my entire attitude has been life altering. xoxoxo
I think people mean well, but the meaning is just awkward in itself. I mean just like me for ME. Employed, not employed. Single not single. Blond or brunette.
100% agree Amy. I don't ever want to feel like I'm developing this chip on my shoulder or some complex. I just want to be happy and (as anon. said) just ME. I think it's just hard when I know so many people out there feel that way. That they try to rectify something that in a large part is out of their control. I think if I had one wish it would be for people to stop using single/married as a judging tool. That, however takes time. Rome wasn't conquered in a day ;)
seriously. I am not going to learn about how to deal with a child having a melt down via a book or developing the attribute of charity. Singles ward, necessary but gone awry.
I am curious to know if you read that article circulating about the 36 year old who finally decided she was done trying th LDS single scene? I just wondered since it was a similar topic. Certainly an important one. I don't think you wear a scarlet letter. Sometimes I can feel all alone in a family ward even though I have a family, because of other pressures that come. I am not trying to belittle your argument because there is a need for others to be more kind, more compassionate and less annoying. I guess i just mean that those people (and there are those people) who are looking for scarlet letters: suck. We all belong. :)
no. what is the article? And I wouldn't say it's a feeling of loneliness, i agree that we all feel that way. Being pegged as single is more of a feeling that you're being sold short to what really is an accurate description of who you are. And agreed, more church doctrine and less church culture!
Nice analogy Skea! BTW I don't apply the scarlet letter to others until about age forty or so. So your still good...jk.
I just watched "easy A" and I'm thinking we should all rock an "A" of sorts...embrace it, baby!!! (Also, did I just admit that I watched Easy A?)
I'm always so grateful for these posts that help me remember what not to say and what to say and how it feels and all that... Thank you!!!
Post a Comment