1) Sense of smell. Watch an old movie and inevitably you'll see it: The dashing man whipping a bouquet of colorful, wonderful smelling flowers seemingly out of thin air to present to his lady love. Or perhaps during an evening stroll or a "turn about the gardens" he plucks one from the vine just for her--{sigh} how romantic? Remember to press it in the book you're reading!
2) Sense of touch. A nice new silk dress to twirl around in, a shiny new trinket or glittery earrings. I think they've even been known to gift a baby kitten or two. Apparently 1960s women swooned over this. But what about today? Fur is quite taboo, animals don't fit in our apartments, good jewelry is really over priced and we're so opinionated I'm not sure a man would have the courage to pick one out on his own. I do like a good dress (Anthro anyone?!) but not so much worried about twirling around the ballroom bit.
3) Sense of humor. One of my favorite old movies says it best, you make 'em laugh. I've stated statistics since college, girls are more forgiving of looks than men. You meet a guy and at first glance he may be a bit chubby, shorter than you'd like or not a George Clooney look-alike, but he's funny? He makes you laugh? Done, he's got both feet in the door. I would argue that funny men like Adam Sandler, Ben Stiller, Owen Wilson, Sacha Baron Cohen, Andy Lee, Hamish Blake and a myriad of other funny men married way, way, way up on the looks scale. Why? Because they are HILARIOUS. I admit it, I was a bit sad the day I found out Bret McKenzie was married.
Styles have changed through the years but perhaps these tactics still work; I'm sure it's different for every woman. And maybe it's a cause of the feminist movement, but I'll say one thing: when someone is willing to go 30 minutes out of their way to take me to Pinkberry, I start thinking that food isn't just a way to a man's heart. Move over box of cherry cordial chocolates, Pinkberry is so much better on that petticoat waistline anyway!
No comments:
Post a Comment