9.10.2012
FrOm MuScLe CarS tO PiLLoW TaLk
Okay, everyone sing with me now: Haaaaallelujah! Haaaaaaallelujah!
In what feels like an absolute miracle (and I will say it is) I was offered a new job. I will now be doing a complete mental shift away from manufacturing, R&D, writing about cars, aerospace and renewable energy... to interior design. That's right, I am the new (and first) director of communications for the American Society of Interior Design (ASID). I'm so excited to learn from my new boss, learn about a new industry and push myself to grow. I'm scared but so excited at the same time!
I really wanted to put my 2 weeks notice in the day Angie left, however I didn't get my offer until yesterday... and then I had to wait until I was in the office since I'd left for the day. boo.
So today when I told Mary I had to talk to her, I came and she said, "You're not leaving are you?" I respond, "I am." After some nooooos, she said she thought she'd at least have me until I finished school. I'm sure for someone less driven to progress (and get out of that hell hole) she could have, however that's not the way I roll. She then made me go tell Tom (our Executive Director) and he acted really, really happy until I told him he got me 1 day shy of two weeks. Sorry, I already have tickets to Puerto Rico!editors note. Even though I found ACMA a person to bridge between me and my replacement, planned 2 issues of the magazine in advance, found and contracted freelancers for the show in January, set-up the survey for the 3rd annual BEST awards, wrote content, assigned stories etc., etc., I apparently was unprofessional. Mary even had the audacity to tell me that Tom took it personally. Part of me wonders if that was her and his sentiments, but I responded saying, "I don't care what he thinks. He's never cared about me, he wouldn't give a second thought to firing someone (I was the 13th person to leave in 11 months) so I genuinely don't care how he feels. Tom didn't talk to me for the remainder of my time at ACMA. He also refused to have a going away breakfast for me (petty, petty!) So instead, everyone went out to lunch with me but him... and Jonathan. That's right, who's the better person? To that, I say good riddance.I loved working with [the majority] of people there, I loved the people I met through working there and and loved the content--it's amazing. But it's time to grow, and it's time to grow in a place that appreciates what it has 20x more than ACMA.
ACMA gave me a boss who taught me everything I know, it taught me how to be even more professional, it taught me to have confidence in my writing and embrace my personality. It let me travel, it gave me great vacation allotments, it supported me in times of family emergencies, and it gave me some wonderful, wonderful friends and a perspective on the world I know I will cherish and geek-out on for the rest of my life. But to be clear, all that was given by people who bailed on ACMA long before me, not by the person(s) who think they deserve the credit! I hope as time washes away all emotional manipulation, anger, resentment and stress I'll be able to simply look back and remember the good things.
End chapter.[gallery type="slideshow" ids="4649,4650,4651"]
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment