11.19.2013

Fauxchitecture at its Finest

I have a strong affinity to fireplaces. I remember having stacks of wood delivered to our house in Utah that would become warm fires throughout winter. We'd gather around and read the Sunday comics, watch a movie or, in my case, stare blindly at the growing flames. I even went so far as to create a paper fireplace in one apartment on my mission so that we could hang our stockings from its mantel. Then came the many wonderful fires at Mt. Ida where we'd roast marshmallows, read books and eat soup, chat until the wee hours or stay warm when all heat sources were cut off during a harsh snow storm. Thus, when I moved into The [other] Hamptons I was sold partially on the fireplace.

Howevever, there was one small detail. It was this little random box in the wall with absolutely no character and I knew that had to change. Thus, as fall began to turn into winter Shannon and I finally completed our DIY fireplace project that had been sitting around since July. We took a small bucket of paint and created a faux finish then drilled a plank board (cut to specs) to the top to make it seem like a nice, open, inviting fireplace! I know, we're geniuses. And now you may all feel free to come join us in roasting marshmallows, reading books and generally lazing by the fire.

[gallery type="square" ids="5731,5732,5736"]

No comments: